• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Canoe build video

Reaction score
I watched this on Vimeo and thought some might enjoy it. Nice father and daughter story and how they worked together to build a wood canvas canoe in Pam Webb's shop, Bearwood Canoe.

Nice video. Brings back memories of my own canoe build with Pam back in 2008. Such a great learning experience! I happened to meet Craig and see his canoe when he brought it to the 2011 Killbear Paddler's Rendezvous at Killbear Provincial Park (Parry Sound, Ontario). Pam's shop is nearby and she brought her 16footer.

Here's a shot of our 3 Bearwood canoes on shore. That's my 14 footer on the left, Craig's 15 footer, and Pam's 16 on the right.

Killbear%2BRendezvous%2B104.jpg

By the way, Craig makes some sweet looking paddles in his shop too - he's a real craftsman. I sent him a pattern of one my paddle blades (historic 1849 Passamaquoddy) and he made a bunch from different woods...

Craig%2BJohnson%2BPaddles2.jpg

Left to Right: cherry, "flame" cherry, sassafras, Honduran mahogany, tiger maple, walnut

Great stuff!

I'm curious about the seat in the middle canoe. Looks like a leather or canvas sling for solo kneeling or sitting?

Thanks Murat, those are 3 really nice looking canoes. I should have made the trip to Killbear, did you meet Fitz and Steve from the Boston area there? They said it's a long ride but very much worth the trip. Looking at those canoes, I can relate to what they are saying.

Keep us updated on the next Kilbear Rendezvous! I think its in September, right? Not too far from Buffalo where I have to pass through with wooden canoe in Sept anyway.

Yes Robin. Got a chance to meet Fitz and Steve that weekend. Quite the gentlemen, they are...and so knowledgeable about WC restoration. The Killbear Rendezvous is a very relaxed event, nothing formal. YC, if I recall, the event is always done the weekend after Labour Day...don't know if that fits your schedule. The park is closed to the public and they grant usage of a whole campground close to the water and their finest beach. Sometimes the winds pickup and the canoe sailors have their fun, but when the wind dies down, the water looks downright tropical in some of the sheltered bays...

Killbear%2BRendezvous%2B126.jpg

Sturgeon, here is another closeup of Tom Seavey's Saddle Seat I took. It's so well constructed and solves the problem of akward seat placement for solo paddlers.

Leather-Saddle-Sling.jpg

Being a DIY guy, I tried to make my own leather sling seat for my 15footer using belts and a leather cover. Nothing as well done as Tom Seavey's design, but maybe I'll post it later in the DIY section.

YC. I remember reading about a product called the SoloStrap. It was being made by Jeff Solway of Nashwaak paddles, but he is no longer in business. Found an old PDF file I had saved on the computer with some grainy images. Looks like some sort of semi-rigid, split piping goes over the gunnels and you kneel on the strap.

Capture.JPG

Solostrap2.JPG

Maybe you could rig up something like it?

Back