• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Can you Identify this Canoe?

Reaction score
This is a solo winoneh I rented when paddling Little Tupper Lake to Lake Lila in the Adirondacks. Can anyone identify it further? The trip report is located on this forum, it was one of the first posted by Willis when he was getting this forum going. This boat moved forward quickly and easily. It was tricky in wind.

These photos are taken with a disposable camera because I was trying to go as light as possible, a la Light Jay on another forum. That total pack weight was 37 pounds (minus the paddles.)

Erica

Attachments

• photo9927.jpg
    photo9927.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9928.jpg
    photo9928.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9929.jpg
    photo9929.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 0
Erica - I don't know by looking at the photos what model it is but I do notice the logo for the Raquette River Outfitters on the canoe. You might want to contact them to see if they can identify it if no one else comes up with the answer. You can contact them at: https://raquetteriveroutfitters.com/

Here's their phone number if you'd rather call them: (518) 359-3228

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

It does not appear to be a Prism or a Rendezvous, and looks longer than a Sandpiper (13 footish)

I would guess a Vagabond (14 feet 6 inches) or a Willderness (15 feet 5 inches). In UL kevlar.

Looks exactly like a Vagabond. Stable and tubby .. the perfect solo for liveries as they don't know the paddling skills of the clients. I have paddled it a couple of times. Like a good pony.. Not exciting but gets you there.

Vagabond sounds like a good guess. It was a rental canoe. I was impressed at how quickly it moved down Little Tupper Lake and it was very light to portage. But I had trouble with it on Lake Lila when it was windy. I had to use a rental for this trip due to travel constraints.

I am still puzzling over what canoe to get.....I am not at all sure I like the winonahs....

Thank you, Erica

I don't like the tumblehome and the seats. I don't have the upper body strength to do the paddle switch. I use the J and/or C stroke. These movements are so integrated into by body memory it is too difficult to change.

I love the light weight and how fast they go when paddled straight. I also had trouble with both the Advantage and the Vagabond in wind.

When I was younger and stronger I could paddle almost any old canoe...and did. So I never learned that much about different kinds of canoes. It is a bit frustrating now to try to find a canoe that will better accommodate my less-than-optimal health body.

I do appreciate all the informative input from the forum. Thank you.

Erica

Some people love Wenonahs. Some don't. .. I have one. but its a big tandem and not so much tumble home.. For solos my gripe is the same as yours. If you ever come across a Hemlock Kestrel or Swift Keewaydin 14 try it.

I see on the Wenonah site that the Vagabond can come with a webbed seat.. but this requires wooden gunwales.. More money.

Could be a Vagabond, but it looks like a little too much tumblehome in the second picture, to me. According to the specs, there is only 1.75" difference between max width and gunwale width on the Vagabond.

Erica, do you recall the length?

With the foot brace and sliding seat, it could be a Prism.

Last edited:
no, I did not ask or write down the length. I knew little about actual boats then and only know a little more now. I do remember it was fast and easy going straight, and hard to handle in the wind.

I didnt mean mean to sound harsh about not much liking Winonas. Just not suited to me. Or I am not suited to it. Or whatever.

Some people love Wenonahs. Some don't. .. I have one. but its a big tandem and not so much tumble home.. For solos my gripe is the same as yours. If you ever come across a Hemlock Kestrel or Swift Keewaydin 14 try it.

I see on the Wenonah site that the Vagabond can come with a webbed seat.. but this requires wooden gunwales.. More money.

I will keep an eye out for those two, thanks yellow canoe.

Build, or have someone build, a Jack's Special stripper. It is really fabulous. I have paddled karin's and Rob's too and they are light, fast, stable and make an awesome solo. They are very pretty too. If an old lady like me can portage one, you should be good.

I have a sort of mehhhh reaction to Wenonahs too. Very utilitarian and quite good paddlers but just lacking something. I do love me a Kee 14/15. Not the price tag though.

Attachments

• photo9949.jpg
    photo9949.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the recommendations. I googled Jack's Special Tripper and it does look like an interesting boat. Interesting it is so broad in the beam, where as most of the solos are quite narrow. I'm now thinking, for this summer's trip, just going with Brad's Mohawk 14. I have a lot of experience paddling it. It takes wind and waves well. I can portage it. It just isn't very fast. I am trying out his Uno double bladed paddle which might be helpful in making headway across lakes and against wind.

I'm not sure either the Vagabond or the Wilderness are available with a sliding seat, even in the lighter layups.

Wenonahs current website shows both the Vagabond and Wilderness with siding bucket seat and foot brace in kevlar Flex-core and Tough-Weave, though not in UL kevlar.

Photo dimensions can be very deceiving, but it does not look narrow enough to be a Prism (16 6 x 26 at the gunwales). And a Prism would seem a pretty hot boat for a livery to rent to clients with unknown bona fides.

Wenonah's website is a little confusing, because only the photo at the top of each page is the actual model ... all the other ones have the disclaimer below: "... canoe shown with Standard Options, may not be the Vagabond."

I agree that it doesn't really look narrow enough at the gunwales to be a Prism, but I don't think that sliding seat is actually available on the Vagabond or the Wilderness. Of course, there's no telling what kind of custom configurations might be possible for someone that asked, or what options might have been available in prior production years.

Last edited:
Wenonah's website is a little confusing, because only the photo at the top of each page is the actual model ... all the other ones have the disclaimer below: "... canoe shown with Standard Options, may not be the Vagabond."

Yup. The pics are misleading. Most models have a standard features and options list, but not all. The Vagabond and the Wilderness don't list sliding seats. The one Wilderness I've seen in a lighter layup had the foot brace, but the same webbed seat as shown in the top photo on the page.

I agree that it doesn't really look narrow enough at the gunwales to be a Prism, but I don't think that sliding seat is actually available on the Vagabond or the Wilderness. Of course, there's no telling what kind of custom configurations might be possible for someone that asked, or what options might have been available in prior production years.

Wenonahs new website is confusing as heck, and poorly designed.

Want to view their current models? Scroll to the bottom of the website and click on the mysterious Find Your Next Adventure link. Who the heck decided to hide the most important part of a canoe company website, currently available models, at the very bottom under a poorly identified link?

https://www.wenonah.com/

Anyway, click on the Find Your Own Adventure and the Vagabond and Wilderness (and Prism an etc) are shown with sliding bucket seats and foot braces.

Back