• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Can anyone Identify these tracks

I don't know what that means, but it has a nice ring to it.

LOL! It was a play on a phrase from an infamous episode of that silly arsed cartoon "South Park". Two men are taking youngsters to hunt, youngin' is reluctant to shoot helpless animal (a rabbit). The men see a grazing bear in the distance and shout, "It's coming right for us." In reality, it isn't - its just foraging in the distance. They blast the bear and congratulate themselves on their bravery and efficacy as hunters and life savers. Youngsters stand by appalled.

40137600933_1e1f5f9c85_b.jpg

How about these?

47050057162_27141d9def_b.jpg

A longer view for perspective.

I like this thread, did not see the snowshoe bunny tracks on the first picture. I have only seen two, Gulo gulo, in my 45 years in Alaska. I don't spend a lot of time in the mountains.
The hair in the hind foot of the Snowshoe hare, makes really good wings on dry flies, the Usual is the only fly that I can think of that calls for this material. Stuff floats like a cork.

Yeah I missed those bunny tracks entirely. But I think I might know what is making trips off into the bush near Pitt's place. Would that be one of his dogs? Looks like it visits the woodlot regularly. A deer has crossed in two places diagonally.

Looks like a porcupine to me.

I didn’t actually see the porcupine make these tracks, but you are right Al.

We see porcupines on our property pretty regularly, Oddysey. Of the six dogs we’ve had, four have been quilled pretty badly. It’s very unpleasant. Our rescue Siberian husky, our current and only dog, has yet to see a porcupine. We let him off leash at the end of two of his three daily walks. He loves to run, and he has even chased coyotes. It’s only a matter of time before we have to take him to the vet.

Last edited:
The ravine down the street provides a nice little wildlife corridor into our neighbourhood. Year round late at night we can sometimes catch a glance of coyote, fox and deer strolling up our cul de sac. The usual urban critters skunks, rabbits and racoons already call this place home.
I was shovelling snow late the other night and found deer tracks in the deep unplowed snow where a visitor had bounded down the street and across my front yard towards the ravine. It's nice to be reminded we're not alone.

Last edited:
King of the Mustelids. I have seen them in the coast ranges of Alaska at around 2,300 feet, which is above treeline.

Back