• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Can anyone Identify these tracks

Reaction score
I came across these tracks in South Central Alaska at about 2500" elevation in an alpine environment a little above tree line. I'm pretty sure what's going on here and I think others will too, especially those from up north. Who's got a guess?

Attachments

• photo11054.jpg
    photo11054.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 4
Only a guess. I've never seen one in the wild. Wouldn't want to tussle with this critter I've heard. Apparently they have attitude.
And they smell musky. That's a hint of their alternate given name.

Here's a map of their range.

map-36.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	map-36.jpg Views:	1 Size:	18.0 KB ID:	89823

I live waaaay south of that so I'm out of luck seeing those tracks on my winter walk.
Am I getting warm yet?

Last edited:
Does it start with a ‘W’? I’ve seen one in northern Idaho and yes to the attitude. It was ready to tak on our pickup truck.
Jim

I have its similarly nasty but less so relative on my property
There are no pet outdoor cats in our neighborhood
I have seen one of the test subjects once
I would rather have a bear ursus in camp

Ptarmigan, and perhaps some older mustelid tracks (fisher perhaps, seeing as it's SE AK). Can't id the fresher deeper tracks at top.

Not much a tracker me. I am not very good at this but it is fun.
​​​​​​​I completely missed the bird walking away calmly to the left. Might be your State bird.
If that's a third set of tracks I could only hazard a guess and say a Martes.
Pretty special being in a place where you can come across signs of this wildlife.

It was a wolverine following the tracks of a snowshoe hare, and yes they are ptarmigan prints going off to the left. The hare tracks show little more than claw marks, but I know what they are because the wolverine had followed them for at least a couple hundred yards and there were other tracks were it was obviously a rabbit. Thanks for playin along.

This may have been him, it was a different day, but the same area.

Attachments

• photo11057.jpg
    photo11057.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 2
Ptarmigan, and perhaps some older mustelid tracks (fisher perhaps, seeing as it's SE AK). Can't id the fresher deeper tracks at top.

Mason, it was South Central Ak. in the front range on the outskirts of Anchorage. I don't think the marks at the top were identifiable at the time, but in the past I have seen wolf tracks all over this valley were I could tell they were moving fast by how spread out they were. Probably looking for ptarmigan.

If you're going to post tracks, you really need to also post a metric. Above is most likely a rabbit or hare, depending on locale. Headed "down stream"

But I certainly could be wrong. It's been a long time since I looked at tracks in the snow.

Had to look it up.

The lagomorphs are the members of the taxonomic order Lagomorpha, of which there are two living families: the Leporidae (hares and rabbits)

Back