• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Camp Shoe - This May Work

Reaction score
Today, wife and I got new runners. Her's are for running. Mine will be my long sought camp shoe at closeout. Inov8 Roctite GTX 345 trail runner BOOT! 11.3 oz. Covers the ankle. I yanked the insole, will replace with something more supportive. Had to go up 1/2 size cause the toe box is really narrow. I yanked the thick foam insole and will replace with an orthotic. I'd post a picture but I'm tired and there's a game on.

Thanks to whomever suggested trail runners. That was a key that eluded me for years. I've seriously tried everything from crocs to a 2nd pair of water shoes. My feet have been feasted on my parasites and I've slipped on rocks and nearly busted my bum. I tried a couple other trail runners but the weight or fit wasn't right (online buying just doesn't work when you have duck feet), and 25% off on these wasn't a bad thing either. The right camp shoe may seem like a small thing, but I'm too old to be uncomfortable in camp after a hard day of travel.

Last edited:
If you want even lighter, go with racing flats (aka waffle racers). These are what started NIKE at the Oregon campus. The track coach used a waffle iron to create the thin latex sole for his track team. Cool story. If you ever saw the film "Prefontaine" , a bit of nike history there.

Goretex lined trails runner were favored by several folks in the Camp Shoe thread.

Works for me. Not just as an in-camp shoe, I wear them walking/hiking, around the yard when the grass is wet and when in pubic, when fuzzy pink crocs and overalls get me funny looks even in the Wamart.

Best shoes I ever bought.

I like the mimalist Lems Boulder Boot for in camp. It is lightweight, easy to pack and very comfortable. I purchased a half size larger to make room for thick socks.

Attachments

• photo11176.jpg
    photo11176.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 3
Since a bout with plantar fasciitis a few years back, I try to have adequate support any time I’m not sitting. Minimalism has to be tempered with fear.

Last edited:
Back