• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Camp saw

I'm surprised there is no mention of a Sven Saw...I have been using a Sven for over 20 years and it still slices through any hardwood like butter.
Folds nice and small, good for paddling trips and backpacking.

Hmm... i may have to re-think this... my uncle (in his late 80s now) gave me his old Sven Saw a couple years ago. I always figured it was too small to do much good cutting with. Doesn't seem like it would have enough "throat" to cut more than a few inches deep, and the stroke would be impeded by that as well. I will dig mine back out and give it a real try (vs just "thinking" it wouldn't work.) Thank you!

I too have had a Sven Saw for years. While the setup is quick and easy , there is something about the angle of the handle that just isn't comfortable for me. And I had trouble getting deep cuts without whacking my hand. If it works for some, great! It's compact and fits any canoe pack.

I too have used a Sven for many years now. I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice how the design limits the diameter of wood to be sawn; at least that's my excuse when my wife says "we need more wood". Until today, I didn't know what saw envy was...Thanks for the link to Bob's Saw. I find wood "prep" to be a relaxing part of the trip.
Brad

Oh yeah, one more knock against my Sven saw; it didn't come in that sexy red colour that Stripperguy posted.

The SawVivor camping saw has served my wife and I very well on our canoe trips. It's light, sturdy, folds ups, the blade stows safely in the back of the saw, it takes under 30 seconds to assemble, and the blades are easy to replace when necessary.

Folded up and assembled:

Saw-VivorCampingSaw_zps6d65627c.jpg

I find it works very well on wood of up to 6" in diameter. I've cut fallen trees that were quite a bit thicker, but it's tough going because the blade is not as long as a traditional buck saw, but I've never needed anything that big, even when clearing a portage of blow-downs, much less for firewood.

What it looks like in use:

Quick-dryclothes_zpsc2cf8f2a.jpg

The trees used for the bench below were cut using this saw, as was everything else in this photo:
IMG_2058.jpg

Hope this helps,
- Martin

Back