• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Came back a few days ago....

Looks like a great time and, yeah, beautiful country you've got up there. I'll be sure to look you up if I ever head that way.

Don't feel bad about not getting any bison. I didn't get any deer this season either.

Alan

Nice looking country. Were those Bison nuggets in the photo next to the snowshoe?

Nice looking country. Were those Bison nuggets in the photo next to the snowshoe?

I think so... But not 100% sure since what I associate with bison poo is more of the cow type... There is horses that roam free in that area, that
could have been that as well!!

Moose? Dall sheep?
On the other hand I hear the hares get really big up there. (lol)

I've spent time around cows enough to see my share of cow patties. A prank we'd pull on any unsuspecting kid ( like my brother) walking through a pasture well decorated with cow pies ( after picking apples) was to wait till your victim was beside a fresh one; you'd aim a fiercely thrown apple into the pie to splatter the kid ( brother). Those don't look like cow poop to me. But we could put it to the test. Canot, go stand next to...oh never mind.

These by my snowshoes are most likely Horses... Moose is quite small, sheep even smaller and rabbit(snowshoe hare) well... No so big... These are some big snowshoes, and you know what they say about big snowshoes right!?!?

Where are the horses from? How long ago were they set loose?
We used to call those hockey pucks. But they had to be frozen. Rubber boots for goal posts. Shovelled snow for "boards"; nothing quite like pond hockey. Pick out the teams, last to be chosen had to collect and carry the "pucks". There was always one guy with a couple real rubber ones in his his coat from team practice. ( My buddy Ron.) He treated them like crown jewels. They didn't get used until all the horse pucks had been slap shotted into smithereens. That was fun too. No wonder nobody wanted to go in net.

Where are the horses from? How long ago were they set loose?
We used to call those hockey pucks. But they had to be frozen. Rubber boots for goal posts. Shovelled snow for "boards"; nothing quite like pond hockey. Pick out the teams, last to be chosen had to collect and carry the "pucks". There was always one guy with a couple real rubber ones in his his coat from team practice. ( My buddy Ron.) He treated them like crown jewels. They didn't get used until all the horse pucks had been slap shotted into smithereens. That was fun too. No wonder nobody wanted to go in net.

The horses are usually set loose at the end of the season(outfitting) and free to room for the winter. The rancher would bring some food some time for them, and they go fetch then in the spring....

I've spent time around cows enough to see my share of cow patties. A prank we'd pull on any unsuspecting kid ( like my brother) walking through a pasture well decorated with cow pies ( after picking apples) was to wait till your victim was beside a fresh one; you'd aim a fiercely thrown apple into the pie to splatter the kid ( brother).

You're bringing back painful memories of my childhood. Eleven years old and walking across a pasture with my dad, fishing poles in hand, as we trudged our way to a small farm pond a couple miles from my grandparents' house. It was a warm spring day and the sun wash shining. My dad points up and says, "look, a hawk." Of course I look up and, splat!, step right into a fresh cow pie.

My sister and I are looking forward to the day when Dad is bound to a wheel chair and loosing his grip on reality. Paybacks.....

Alan

Back