• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

BWCA permit reserved for May 17

G

YES! Just reserved my permit for BWCA Moose River North (EP16) for May 17th. Doing a group solo with a friend. He wants to see whose boat is better, his Bell Merlin II or my Hemlock Peregrine. Mine's red so it's naturally faster. It just remains to be seen if the Merlin has any compensatory qualities. I've promised myself I won't gloat, no matter what.

This will be a 10-or-so-day trip through Lac La Croix, an area that's high on both of our lists of places we've been and always like going back to.

I have a drysuit you can borrow. Take ice picks ( the kind you use for self rescue on ice).. You might have to force yourself through.

Well Gava, I hope it all works out for you. But just on the off chance, maybe if that Chinese icebreaker is unemployed, you might consider getting their phone number. It'd make for great PR for them: "Snow Dragon rescues American canoers frozen in ice with supplies dwindling!" Or if it was reported by the penny dreadful national press: "Canoe party of two, mysteriously reduced to one; Gava not talking, has extra canoe for sale"

Good luck! I know Memaquay will suggest bring plenty of that tan anti-freeze!

Best Wishes, Rob

Well Gava, I hope it all works out for you. But just on the off chance, maybe if that Chinese icebreaker is unemployed, you might consider getting their phone number. It'd make for great PR for them: "Snow Dragon rescues American canoers frozen in ice with supplies dwindling!" Or if it was reported by the penny dreadful national press: "Canoe party of two, mysteriously reduced to one; Gava not talking, has extra canoe for sale"

Good luck! I know Memaquay will suggest bring plenty of that tan anti-freeze!

Best Wishes, Rob

OK, now I'm really LOL. You guys are a stitch.

I've been assured that the water will be soft in two months. If it isn't, I'll have to reprogram my internal fantasy generator.

Was frozen in mid May in 2001 or so, more than ten years ago.

Mid-May can be any time from the 11th to the 20th. We're going in on the 17th so I'll gamble on the point spread.

I have a BWCA permit for 10 August. I was told there is a pretty good chance that ice out will have occurred but they couldn't gaurantee it this year!! :)

Back