• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Busy winter

My DY has very little rocker, about 3/4" IIRC. I'll need to verify that with my Inventor files at work, I only have Solidworks here at home...
It (and I) suffer badly in any following waves, even little stuff. Anything over 1 ft or so and it's a very disturbing ride, particularly if I have a boat full of gear!
I did paddle an Olympic C1 for a bit, it was, uhmmm, not for any sort of recreational use, so I won't even try to compare.
When I was in the process of asking David Yost for the Special plans, he asked several times if I might prefer the Shockwave...he said it had slightly different sections and considerably different stems. He didn't specifically mention stern hook, but I'm guessing that was one of the reasons for the design evolution.

From the sounds of your experience, and likes and dislikes, I was you when I was a bit younger. Speed and tracking were at the top of my list, maybe more influenced by the type of paddling I did back then. While I still place a premium on performance, I define it (performance) a little differently than before.

Of course, only you know what will satisfy you best, maybe you can't get everything in a single hull. If I were in your shoes, I would soften the stems a tad and go with it. If nothing else, it will give you a solid benchmark WRT profiles and sections vs expectations and performance.

Well, this was the weekend. Planned to finish cleaning up the shop, get all the strips ripped, and hopefully print, cut, and mount forms. Maybe even staple a strip or two.

Instead I got an earful from the neighbor two doors down Friday evening that my chickens were wreaking havoc with her landscaping. I'd been worried about her since I got the chickens but I hadn't seen them venturing into her yard. They've seemed content to stick around my place or the neighbor's in between, who likes them very much. But I guess the bug supply is getting pretty thin so they're widening their territory. Imagine their glee when they find a huge patch of wood chips on the sunny side of a house with nice fluffy black dirt underneath.

I figured I'd mull over a plan but when I woke up Saturday morning I found all six in her front yard scratching away. It looked like someone had lobbed mortars into her front yard. I can only carry two at a time and walking back and forth isn't an option as they'd just follow me back over. So I did the only logical thing there was the do. Drove my car down, loaded them all up, and drove them home. One on the dash, a couple on my lap, one sharing the seat with the dog, and a couple on the floor. It was only a 150 yard drive but I wish a cop would have pulled me over. Would have made his day.

Five minutes after I let them out of the car they were heading back over again. So I had to drop everything and spend nearly the whole weekend building a chicken prison. As far as prisons go it's a pretty nice one. They get a large area of southern exposure behind my new shop where they're blocked from the north wind with a row of bushes to root around in. Also about 15 feet of the shed roof that runs the entire length of the east side of my shop where they can stay out of any rain and dodge the west wind. Under the overhang they get a nice roost that's covered on all sides and insulated with 1 1/2" foam. But still I feel bad for them. They had a really nice thing going and I'll miss having them follow me around the yard when I work.

I am a little closer to canoe time though. Got to spend a portion of today cleaning up the shop more. Should finish that up tomorrow and get a couple more lights hung. Then it's just a matter of getting the forms finished digitally and printed out. I can rip strips anytime now.

Alan

Well the weekend ended on a high note. I don't know how many hours I've spent in the past week with different free CAD programs trying to finalize my forms for printing. Mainly I needed to shrink them to account for the strip thickness and also somehow get the stem forms, which Delftship doesn't export with the sections. I've been pulling my hair out and was about ready to forget it and just make the changes by hand but I found that Rhinoceros, a CAD program which seems to be popular with boat designers, offers a fully functional 90 day free trial. I downloaded it this evening and what a difference! Things don't seem to be buried away in hidden menus and I find it much more intuitive with a great "help" section built in that's shown me pretty much everything I've searched for.

In seemingly no time I had all the forms sized to account for strip thickness, the extensions added to raise them off the strongback, and the stem forms made up and ready to go. I'm sure the other programs I was using can do the same thing but I sure as heck couldn't figure it out. The only snafu was that I couldn't export as a PDF since it looks like it has to see an installed printer first. So instead I exported in Adobe Illustrator's format and will have my mom make up the PDFs tomorrow on her computer. Then it's go time!

Alan

Back