• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Building the Northwest Passage Solo

That canoe has very nice lines.

I just peeked at your website and saw some of your other projects. Very nice work!! You are a talented guy.

Yea, it's a very nice boat to paddle. It turns well and goes straight well even in the wind. Quartering tail wind it doesn't love so much. I wouldn't take it out in big waves.

Scott,
Your photo sequence is way above average. You know your way around a wood shop. I like the straight lines of the boat and the elimination of the football. It is very inspiring to see all of the construction going on around here. It may be time to buy a shed and clear out the garage.

Do it!! No matter how it goes your new boat will float, be beautiful and you'll be the happiest guy on the block.

I have built fiberglass sail boats and one stitch and glue kayak, but lots of canoe repair. I am thinking about a restoration on a 1951 cedar and canvas boat. Anyone ever see a Pygmy Tioga? That is a great looking stitch and glue kit boat of 17 feet.

What did you use for a waterborn finish and how has it held up? I've been thinking of doing the same on my builds going forward as I'm setup to spray it and I don't always like the color the oil based varnish adds.

Alan

I used a Helmsman Spar Urethane. It has stayed nice and clear (no yellowing) and is holding up great. Plus it goes on well (you can thin it a little with water to get it to wet out nicely without screwing up the complicated chemistry that is waterborne finishing) and you can put all 3 coats on in a day. It also sands well between coats.

I used the same varnish on the deck of a sea kayak. It held up fine. I painted the hull yellow for visibility due to the amount of power boats on our big lakes like Tahoe and Pyramid. Helmsman and a few others have a lot of UV protection which is what we need at 5000-9000 feet in a sunny climate. There can be some trial and error in preparing the epoxy for varnish. I like the Flagship varnish with the flags on the label too.

I have built fiberglass sail boats and one stitch and glue kayak, but lots of canoe repair. I am thinking about a restoration on a 1951 cedar and canvas boat. Anyone ever see a Pygmy Tioga? That is a great looking stitch and glue kit boat of 17 feet.

If it didn't weigh more than my bell northwind in RX I would have built it already. I like pygmy kits, I've completed three of them.

Nice work on the NW solo!

Very nice... I had always been a fan of lots of rocker in a hull but your photos have me looking twice.. Well done :)

Back