• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Build or buy?

Yup - strips don't build kayaks, people do. Got a quote from Totem before Christmas for about $1,300 for 3/16 bead and cove, including taxes and $300 shipping to Ottawa, for strips only not including any epoxy/glass etc. That was for 17 foot full length strips so probably a fair price considering the package size and shipping distance, but still pretty rich.

I gave up trying to put a bead and cove on the 3/16 strips I cut for my canoe last year (first time using a router) and just went with straight edge and some pretty sketchy rolling bevels, but want to have it for my next build. I guess I see lots of router practice, sawdust, and frustration in my future.

Last edited:
All this makes this Old Tight Wad feel good !

Now days buying high priced Cedar at Menard's , enough for a canoe, 4- 1 x 6 x 16' planks, carefully sorted for grain and knots, would run me right at $100. I'd buy an extra, because I'm not that Tight !

So for $125 + tax another $10 = $135. I'd be on my way.

Could I coax an upcoming builder to help ? Teaching him or her, how to produce quality strips ? Maybe not.

At my age I would take two long half days, cut, bead and cove strips for another canoe.

After all I have the tools and experience !

I've never cut 3/16" strips. I'm sure the Trusty Skilsaw could make them uniform enough to be beaded and coved.

Just an Old Guy's view.

A pic from 30 yrs ago.

3e385cec-da21-4a3a-ba4f-c8ff0ec7a07c_zpscf911cb6.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
3/16 strips ... I just made a whole batch for my current build, and that is one of the first things i will be posting. So I can confirm that the skilsaw work fine making those strips ... I am using NWC which is a little fussier than WRC in my opinion and I had minimal issues.

I just used a regular router setup for the B & C, I don't think you should have any big issues Traveler. I see you are in Ontario, if it is not too far, i would be willing to give you a hand with that when you are ready.

Brian

Ha ha Jim, that's a 180 Canuk dollars, don't ya know. I'm normally a bit of a tightwad too, but only have a month and limited enthusiasm, so in the words of Crusty Crab from Spongebob Squarepants, "Money Money Money".

I've started my first build - Bob's Special. I found some rough cut white cedar about 3 km's away. I picked up 21 lengths of 5/4x4 and just finished creating 10 bags of cedar shavings. Planed down to 7/8 and jointed one edge. I'm doing rolling bevel a la Nick Schade. Please let me know if I'm missing something - I presume the 1/4" vs 3/16" has to do with the available bead and cove bits. Seeing as how I'm not doing that, I was thinking about meeting halfway and cutting my strips at 0.215".

Jim, I'm a bit of a tight wad myself - my last canoe was built wth strips that I cut from decking boards bought at Home Depot for $25 CAN each. Came out ok I think, but I want to step it up a bit this time around, and while I haven't exhausted my search of local sources yet, for the equivalent high quality 16 foot 1x6 cedar around here the best I can find so far is $65 CAN per board, or somewhere around $45-50 US. So looking at the totals, I would be in for around $350 CAN (taxes in) for the same five boards you can find at Menards for less than $175 CAN. At the same time I can get the equivalent in good quality bead and coved strips for around $500 CAN including tax and delivered, although these would not be full 16 foot lengths. This is not a huge $ difference to save a couple of days cutting and applying bead and cove, so gives me pause for thought (not to mention an excuse to buy a planer to get them down to 3/16 inch, which I of course would not need to count in the cost of my build due to my highly-developed skills in self-delusional logic).

Brian, many thanks for your generous offer to come help me out on this - I am just outside Ottawa so maybe not that far from Bowmanville, but if I decide to go ahead with the full deal on processing strips I will have to learn how to do bead and cove on those 3/16 strips the hard way. I am confident that I can pull it off, but there will be much cussing. And I wouldn't want to pull you away from the build thread you just started - your 30 pound target is exactly what I am looking for, so will be following closely.

3/16 strips ... I just made a whole batch for my current build, and that is one of the first things i will be posting. So I can confirm that the skilsaw work fine making those strips ... I am using NWC which is a little fussier than WRC in my opinion and I had minimal issues.

I just used a regular router setup for the B & C, I don't think you should have any big issues Traveler. I see you are in Ontario, if it is not too far, i would be willing to give you a hand with that when you are ready.

Brian

Traveler ! I'd be on Brian's offer in a heart beat ! Nothing better than an experienced hand, building a stripper !

Brian and I don't always agree on some things, But he'd be a great help !

Jim

Ha ha Jim, that's a 180 Canuk dollars, don't ya know. I'm normally a bit of a tightwad too, but only have a month and limited enthusiasm, so in the words of Crusty Crab from Spongebob Squarepants, "Money Money Money".

Forgot about the rate of exchange ! I wonder Who has to work harder for a Dollar ? An American, or a Canadian ? Ha !

In any rate. "Money" You can't take it with you ! I heard of a guy that told his Wife " I want to take my money with me when I die" His Wife said "Fine" and wrote him a check, and placed in his casket ! :D

Jim

Brian, many thanks for your generous offer to come help me out on this - I am just outside Ottawa so maybe not that far from Bowmanville, but if I decide to go ahead with the full deal on processing strips I will have to learn how to do bead and cove on those 3/16 strips the hard way. I am confident that I can pull it off, but there will be much cussing. And I wouldn't want to pull you away from the build thread you just started - your 30 pound target is exactly what I am looking for, so will be following closely.

Have Brian help you set up a Skilsaw, to cut your strips, and you won't need a plane !

Jim

More power to ya, Rob. I figure if you lost 50 pounds you must have saved at least $1000 on beer and spam so as far as I'm concerned you're more than justified.

Alan

Back