• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Boy Scouts capsize

Interesting that this was the MN DNR paddle every mile of the MN river day, you think they would warn folks it wasn't passable.

Oh jeezus, when I see a hornet's nest I just gotta kick it. But it's not my honest intention.
We want to keep our children safe. We want to avoid all possible risks and hazards in life. Kids should not be at risk for activities. Don't stand too close to the curb. Don't hang out with that kid, I don't like his mother. Don't swing too high at the park. Wear all your pads skateboarding. Don't share water bottles. Wear your mouthguard. Keep your head up. Come straight home from school. And I was always intensely serious and protective. These sound like I'm taking the piss, but these and many more were all rules I had for my kids. Many more. I can't even remember them all. And when some perv murderer would raise their ugly head in the news I'd add more measures to keep my kids safe and keep my sanity secure, or so I thought. But who can say when we're being "good parents" or "not good enough"? There are safeguards and measures, guidelines and guides, but we can only try our best and trust in ourselves. And trust in each other.
I've encountered Scout leaders and their troops from time to time. The leaders always seemed as intense and focused as myself as we exchanged steely glances in passing canoes. My occasional meetings mean nothing I know, but I'm of the mind that they're committed and serious in their charge. Perhaps there've been failings in the planning and execution in trips plans. There may be blame to lay, I don't know. Or maybe forgiveness and learning. Tragic results have been experienced in my province as well. Mistakes made, situations misjudged, and lives lost. I really don't know how forgiving I'd be as a parent if I were to suffer the pain...the pain. I hope we can understand the risks, and mitigate them responsibly. And hope for safer adventures for our youth? Empty words from a scared parent. I hope the hornet's nest remains intact.

Back