• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Binoculars.

Reaction score
I always take a pair of binoculars on a canoe trip.
I use them in the Boundary Waters for spotting the next portage trail.
I use them on rivers to scope out the next campsite or upcoming dangers.
And, of course, they are handy for wildlife viewing.
I'm not a expert, but I own eight binoculars, so I know a little bit.
Most of my binoculars are 10X and above, but I probably wouldn't recommend more than eight power for canoeing.
The higher the power, the harder it is to keep the image steady.
The larger the objective lens, the brighter the image and the brighter the image, the more detail you can make out.
An 8x42 is going to be brighter than an 8x32 and an 8x42 is going to be brighter than a 10x42.
Of course, you want it to be waterproof.
I would guess that most canoeists go with an 8x25, meaning eight power with a 25 mm objective lens.
I prefer something bigger. I take a pair of 8x32 on canoe trips. If I could only own one pair of binoculars, I'd get a pair of 8x42 roof prism.
Binoculars are an investment. If you take care of them, they will last for many years. It pays to buy a good pair.
By a good pair, I don't mean you need to buy Swarovski or Zeis, though that would be nice, but it might be worth it to get a pair with ED glass.

Few know binoculars as well as the National Audubon Society.
They have a very good guide to binoculars.
They, and most other experts, consider the 8x42 as the sweet spot for handheld wildlife viewing.
Based on their reviews, I just ordered a pair of Nikon 8x42 ProStaff 3S binoculars, on sale for $96.95,
They scored higher than binoculars costing more than three times that.
I've considered monoculars. They are, basically, half the size and weight of comparable binoculars, but you don't get the 3D effect. Bird watchers use binoculars and not monoculars for a good reason. You can see better.
For hiking and hunting, I'd consider a monocular more seriously, but canoes hold a lot.

I've considered monoculars. They are, basically, half the size and weight of comparable binoculars, but you don't get the 3D effect. Bird watchers use binoculars and not monoculars for a good reason. You can see better.
For hiking and hunting, I'd consider a monocular more seriously, but canoes hold a lot.
I agree...I use a monocular when hunting. It's actually a finder scope from a Celestron telescope (6x20). Very clear and weighs nothing. Great for sneaking around in the woods.

For binos my go to are a Bushnell 8x42 or an old pair of Sears 7-15x35. The latter from a time when they built things to last. Though old they are surprisingly clear right to the edges.

I also used to use a monocular.
In the past 25 years or so, I have been carefully storing that monocular near the second beaver dam downstream from Brandreth Lake, outlet in about 18 feet of Adirondack water.

Since then, I have a compact Pentax binoculars, nice for star gazing too!

Merry Christmas to me!

I just got a pair of 8x25 Nocs waterproof. I dig 'em. Can't wait to bring them on a trip.

About 30 years ago I was issued a pair of Steiner “Marine” 8 x50’s. Phenomenal binoculars, particularly in low light conditions. Great field of view, adequate magnification, but big, bulky, and heavy. I took them on trips, but they wound up buried in the bottom of my pack….not convenient. Started leaving them home. Last year my wife, after consulting with our future DIL, a park naturalist and “birder”, gave me a pair of “Vortex” 10 x 42’s….. probably half the size of my steiners, focus very quickly and work well with my glasses. The eye cups twist up/down for use with/without glasses. The best part is, they fit in my thwart bag….very convenient!

AC1F6387-5F5A-4946-BDE9-A469B57C5D03.jpeg08852633-3D54-423E-A22A-311DEA21BBEA.jpeg

Never taken any. I do take a superzoom compact bridge camera for birds but never used them to find a portage or campsite as the trees often hint at both( occupied campsites arent that common and usually obvious in my area)
For sure I'd carry for birding

I carry a pair of Leica 8x20 Ultravids. They're relatively expensive for binoculars but they're a holdover from my birding days and are a joy to use. They're water proof and very small with good eye relief for glasses wearers.

I used to have a full sized 10x42 Zeiss Victories, which were very expensive (I got them for half price and they were still over $1k). They gave a gorgeous picture to look at but as I got out of bird watching it wasn't worth it for me to carry the weight anymore. The little Leicas don't give such a big view but I never felt they gave up anything in terms of clarity and color definition.

Overkill for canoe tripping but it's what I have and they're a joy to use, especially when I have to take a break from tripping to check out some birds. They're hardly even noticeable in a pocket, around my neck, or in the thwart bag.

Alan

I love using binoculars and always bring a pair with me when out in nature. A friend asked me about what to get as a first pair and what to expect at different price points and so on. I did this write up which might be helpful for anyone looking for a new pair:

It's not easy to find binoculars that do it all for $200. That being said, even halfway decent binoculars can give much joy to the not yet fully developed binoculars connoisseurs eyes. I started with a no name pair that was probably around $40 or so. I used them for years even though they were not good at all. I didn't know that then and they blessed me with many memorable nature experiences that I hadn't gotten without them.

My advice is still to spend at least $200 for a new pair. If you get the right pair, they will serve you well and give you great views of birds and animals, surf waves, stars and even galaxies, landscapes, concerts, sporting events, ant hills up close, bikini babes at one of those Malibu balconies, airplanes, forest fires and also ships out at sea. They will have great warranty (most of the time) and even a decent second hand value. So that when you have developed a serious binoculars dependency after a few years you can either sell them and buy a really nice and expensive pair, or just keep them stashed in the glove compartment of your van while still buying that really nice expensive pair.

I've gone through quite a few different models and finally l landed on the ones I have now. I'm very happy with them and will probably have them for the rest of my life. They offer stellar performance, are small and they are very pretty. From my experience you can expect top notch, no questions asked warranty and service from Swarovski. This goes for the nicer Zeiss binoculars as well. Alas they are also a bit pricey
Swarovski Habicht 8x30W.

In the $500 range these are probably the best you can get. These will be pro level binoculars that outperform almost anything out there. Better than my Swarovskis in some respects, but not as pretty.
Maven B3 8x30
Kite Optics Lynx 8x30

In the price range $300-400 I would go for one of these alternatives. These will still be very good binoculars!
Opticron Traveller BGA ED 8x32
Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7

Around $200 I would go for a reputable brand with a good warranty policy. These will still be quite good binoculars although they will have narrower field of view, less sharpness and contrast, iffy build quality and not so good light transmission (poor night sky and star gazing). These are still fully water and fog proof though!
Nikon Prostaff 7S 8 x 30

This is the cheapest pair on my list of acceptable optics. These are compact and will fit in a shirt pocket. The focus knob is a little fiddly but the view is quite good, or at least it was in a pair that I once bought for an evil woman. These will not take in much light because of the smaller objectives (25mm) so not so good in dark environment or star gazing.
Nikon Sportstar 8x25 DCF

Below $100. Mostly all the same binoculars from the United Optics plant in China with different branding. Narrow field of view is a hallmark at this price level. Made in China or the Philippines. Can be useful and fun though usually not waterproof and will go out of alignment quickly, if aligned in the first place.

Happy viewing!

Last edited:
The Swarovski and Zeiss are out of my price range.

I went to Bass Pro and looked through many different binoculars. I ended up getting a Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD Binoculars - 12X - 50mm. They are exceptionally good. (I will note, I refused to even look through the Swarovski and Zeiss binoculars - afraid I might mortgage my house if I saw how good they are.)

With various discounts I got them for just under $700.

I do not have to take off my glasses to use them. The focus is with just one knob and focus is easy. They are waterproof.

Last edited:
The Swarovski and Zeiss are out of my price range.

I went to Bass Pro and looked through many different binoculars. I ended up getting a Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD Binoculars - 12X - 50mm. They are exceptionally good. (I will note, I refused to even look through the Swarovski and Zeiss binoculars - afraid I might mortgage my house if I saw how good they are.)

I do not have to take off my glasses to use them. The focus is with just one knob and focus is easy. They are waterproof.
Yes, I forgot to say that my list does not take eyeglass wearers in to consideration. You will need binoculars with longer eye relief for that.

While looking for a binocular to buy some good info I received on this board came into play.

In short, binoculars being larger would tend to end up in cases/dryboxes etc. and not be ready at hand as a monocular. Got a Vortex. Went 8x and wouldn't go higher to to stability issues. Stays in my PFD pocket so I pull it out frequently, but if I did drop it over it didn't cost much.

Others on this thread have stated the same and I concur.

I picked up a pair of Vortex Viper 10x42's last week. They're pretty good for a $500 pair of binoculars and they aren't overly large but they're not something I'd want to take on a trip. They'll be for use around home or other times where weight/bulk won't be a consideration.

For general use I'll still be using my 8x20 Leica Ultravids. Besides the great view the small size makes it easy to carry within arm's reach so I find myself using them quite often. One of the handier uses on a canoe trip was scanning the shoreline of a lake for potential campsites late in the day when time was running short. In less than a minute they can be pulled from the thwart bag, put to use, and put back in the thwart bag. Day to day they live in the center console of my car where they get used often.

Alan

I have a pair of Minox 8x43 HG that I use for hunting. I got them from Cameraland NY as "open box" and 50% off. For tripping, binoculars would be the first thing to remove from my list for weight/packing considerations.

I ended up purchasing Nikon Monarch 8x42 binoculars years ago based on the recommendations of a couple of avid birders and they've worked well for what I needed. The optics, while not in the same league as some of the more expensive suggestions here, do the job and I won't feel as bad if they end up on the bottom of a lake or bouncing off a rocky slope. But last year I bought a 8x42 monocular to better fit in a canoe thwart bag. Gotta say that it works well and because it's so much easier to pack along I use it more often than the binoculars.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1396009-REG/opticron_30691_8x42_dba_vhd_monocular.html

For tripping, binoculars would be the first thing to remove from my list for weight/packing considerations.
I have a small pair of Tasco binoc's that my kids gave me many years ago. When I do take them, their small size/cost makes them convenient for canoe travel.

We were scouting a clear-cut for moose last year and I gave my sil's dad the Tasco's when he spotted something. You would have thought I gave him a kaleidoscope! He opened his Camo Cabelas pack and pulled out a nice pair of Camo Vortex Diamondback glasses which confirmed what we thought was a moose was a bush in the shade.

I have never liked weight hanging from my neck, so for most of my life my binoculars saw little use. Once I bought a harness I began to take them with me nearly everytime I go canoeing, hiking, snowshoeing, rowing etc... The harness distributes the weight nicely and they're always close at hand.

on the last canutrip with a friend i saw him using a monocular ... Oh how beautiful!
It was a Minox MD 7x42 C. Sure I also looked through and I liked it so much that I also got one.
A small, useful device with which you can quickly look where the next landing point is, where the next junction will be or where a good spot for a rest is.
And the best thing is, it has a built-in compass and is waterproof.

Back