• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Big Y stern....

Reaction score
Good day all, I am thinking of building(maybe) the “ultimate” river and lakes hunting canoe! And I need plans..... I want something at least 20’ and max 22’, it would have to be deep, minimum 18” center depth and something like 24” bow depth with a beam of 40+” and at least 38” at 4” waterline. I don’t want to put a big motor on it and I want a Y stern so I can still somewhat paddle it and most likely pole it up stream on smaller shallower rivers! I would love to find plans or some one that could make such plans?!?!
any thoughts?
cheers

I built a big 20 foot canoe that could be easily adapted as a y-stern. There are pics in this thread. https://www.canoetripping.net/forum...45-where-to-find-plans-for-large-family-canoe The website where I got the plans is down, but he has a facebook site where you could contact him. https://www.facebook.com/Cedar-Stri...ing-135105586560927/photos/?ref=page_internal It's called the Outback 200. It's around 42 inches across, if I remember correctly and about 16 inches deep. Paddles very nicely. I currently have a side mounted 2 horse on it, and it goes like greased lightening.

Here's a pic with the side mount. It is riding a little low, but you would not have believed the load that was in it at that time. My buddy driving it is a big fella too. I think if you just used the last station as a transom, and added .75 inches to every station, you would have a pretty nice Y-stern.
K16z0I2.jpg

Most any strip built plan, can be modified for a Y- stern.

Check with BWCA66. I sold him plans and rough cut forms for a Voyageur type canoe, designed by Albert Gustaveson, the original owner of North West Canoe.
Designed to be built 24-26'

I think this would fit your bill.

Jim

One thing we have learned about small boats is that if you want to push it with an outboard you should add some fullness in the aft section. Adding a transom is a good idea.
I have an 8 hp Honda on my drift boat. It has a nice transom, but it is fairly narrow aft. Underway, the boat tends to squat, and raise the bow in the air.

A freight canoe can be paddled, but I would design it to be run under power first and to paddle second. If you are stuck on a Y shaped stern then that is fine. Remember that we had this discussion about fullness in the arse end.

My tripping bud has a 20 foot Chestnut Y-stern that we restored. It motors really well. He only uses a 3 HP kicker motor on it and it goes great. It has carried day trip gear, nine people and two dogs comfortably. We are likely taking it on a trip in a few weeks. I will report back.

As an example, there are now boats called power drifters being made. They look like a drift boat except they have transoms that are 3 feet wide. A regular narrow transom DB is rated for 10 hp but only needs about 5. A power drifter can handle 40 hp and planes.

Freight canoes are amazing craft and I have never even seen one except in photos and video. For the big lakes and large rivers like the Yukon they seem like just the thing. I would still love to have one.

Back