• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Big Waves and Pumps

Reaction score
I know some WW paddlers have installed elec pumps to empty their boats on wet rides.

Do any of you lake paddlers have a similar setup? Far from shore, I imagine that could be really useful on a big wave day.

No we don't. We have never shipped water even on Lake Superior
I think a suitable volume boat with a spray cover and most important good hull design is more important
Of course manual bailing in seas is out of the question
We tend to plant paddles on the top of waves which pushes you up and over then and slide the bow seat back to not impale the wave

I could see having a bilge pump if you were setting up a kruger as a "micro ship" and attempting offshore passages. Then your bilge pump might be part of an electrical system with solar panels, a battery bank, running lights, vhf, gps, tablet, camera and other [FONT=&quot]Teignmouth Electron apparatus...[/FONT]

Noooooo. Old lady paddling rule #1...if the waves are big enough to make you want a bilge pump, the right place to be is on shore sipping coffee. This was reinforced the time we took a wave over the bow of a 17.5 Lund outfitter. Time to sit this one out.

Hey did you get to try the coffee we left you?

The old lady rule is an efficient one. Rise early and you can cover the same amount of ground in 10 minutes that you beat yourself up on for an hour
Good old man rule too

Far from shore, I imagine that could be really useful on a big wave day.

I never paddle far from shore unless absolutely, unavoidably necessary, and I certainly would never do so if I expected big waves.

If lake waves are big enough to come over my rails and deposit significant water in my canoe, it's long, long past the time when I should have gone ashore to drink Uncle Lee's decaffeinated green tea and wait out the wind.

So, no, I've never seen other than whitewater paddlers use electric bilge pumps -- those gimmickaholic wimps!

Beware too close to shore.
Reflecting waves=clapotis
It's educational
OnSuperior we are usually 300 feet out

I never paddle far from shore unless absolutely, unavoidably necessary, and I certainly would never do so if I expected big waves.

I would prefer not to, but into a headwind I will angle “close hauled” in sailing terms (not that I’m using a sail into a headwind), side slipping the wind and wave a bit rather than taking it head on, chop splashing over the bow.

I will venture further from shore than I would generally like, but my route angles often become a zig zag. At some point I have to execute a turn from / outbound to \ inbound, back toward my intended destination and the comfort of nearby land. That turn is when things get trickiest.

Beware too close to shore.
Reflecting waves=clapotis
It's educational
OnSuperior we are usually 300 feet out

And not just clapotis.

The bane of my paddling route existence on coastal bays is the long skinny peninsula. I like paddling in the wind and wave shadow of a long peninsula, more and more the closer I get to that protection. But I’m not routing around a half circle inside some 5 mile long deeply embayed shore.

Plus I want to hit the tip of that peninsula at least 50 or a hundred feet off the point. Even on “flatwater”, with little or no river or tidal flow, there can be a lot of wind driven water streaming around the tip of that projection near the point.

And of course once I clear that wind and wave swept point dammit there is another long embayed shore and distant peninsula to deal with. Back at it, further and further from shore once again.

With a non-threatening tailwind I just head out as far as I dare, put the sail up and go point to point, even it does put me a long ways from land.

I paddle a Seawind. I use an electric bilge pump. It is a self contained unit running on D cells. Has worked for several years so far. Made by Atkins.

Yeah, I don't get it!! Big waves I can understand can be intimidating, especially with a low sheer hull.

But pumps?? What's scary about them? I find them very attractive on a fit lady, but not if they're foolishly tall.
And not for my foot, I prefer a sandal or water shoe.
Besides, the little heel could cause a hull puncture, as could the pointy toe when kneeling.

And electric pumps? How would they even work?

I'm just not getting it...

;););)

I'm such an idiot!!
I just reread the previous posts...folks aren't afraid of pumps, they wear them!!

I don't follow the fashion world at all, so I don't know what an "elec" pump is, nor am I familiar with the shoe designer "Bilge"...
I've heard of Versace and Manola Blah??? but not Bilge.
I can't believe I was so far off!!

I paddle a Seawind. I use an electric bilge pump. It is a self contained unit running on D cells. Has worked for several years so far. Made by Atkins.

Just curious. Why a pump instead of a skirt?

Of course a decked canoe with a rudder can be paddled in much rougher waters than a flatwater open canoe, which I assumed was implicit in the OP.

Of course a decked canoe with a rudder can be paddled in much rougher waters than a flatwater open canoe, which I assumed was implicit in the OP.

Clearly, some just don't have the legs for a skirt!
Whereas, many can pull off pumps!

My guess is backup to skirt failure. That Monarch cockpit is ginormous. Were I to do the Michipicoten Island crossing of 17 km open water I would have a bilge pump too.
But I just stare at the crossing

Back