• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Big Water Double Take

I drive a 16'3" Freedom Solo most times, and for that I use low angle (canoe) double from Grey Owl, called a Tempest @ 250 cm .... I built a second one based on that paddle at 260 cm, which is about the right IMO.

If you can get to the plant in Cambridge, they will make whatever length you want .... they were really good to deal with.

Brian

No. On a week or more trip I expect to run into big water, most of my loop trips I end up paddling into the wind the whole loop. I don't want to take a 3rd paddle.

some swear by a 270-290.. No way for me.. I carry a 230 low angle Wind Swift. I don't need anymore length for dedicated solo canoes. Length adds swing weight and yaw.
My big water is Superior ,Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic for the most part.

Do you really notice swing weight when using a bigger paddle. Only when I pick up another lighter one. Doesn’t seem to matter when I’m under way.

Yes. Especially when you are paddling into a headwind and having to do 13 miles in three hours because bad weather is coming. More if you have a 26 mile a day paddle.
Shape matters. Bigger means???Longer ? Fat blade vs skinny blade? There are a lot of shapes. Some swear by feathered some not..
Really really matters in tidal waters and large lakes which do develop a seiche ( and therefore have current)

Ok, what configuration makes most sense to you? I have a couple 260 cm BB Impressons, wife used one for two weeks. I guess she could use a lighter one. I got a BB Slice for my first canoe double paddle. Also round shaft. The round shafts tend to be harder on the hands. Then, we have some carbon/plastic jobs that have round shafts and are 240 cm, mostly used for kayak day paddles. I haven't seen any real lightweight double paddles for canoes. Certainly the 260 length is nice for big water, but a little long at times. Not at all sure what blade makes most sense.

All I ever use is a Werner Camano all carbon 260cm. Help from this forum led me to the Camano. I could not be happier as 240 was too short for me and a lot of others wanting a double blade for a canoe. Problem is Werner makes these longer paddles but stores rarely stock them so folks are sold a 240. Proper form is so important in using a 260. Others can explain "Lily dipping."

That's exactly what happened to me Marten, the stores don't stock them, fortunately the source was nearby and I could get what I wanted with a reasonable drive. Like I said, I bought a 250 cm and then made a 260 cm, because it just felt I needed a little more

Wide fat Euro blades make no sense to me.. I use an Aleut shape which was designed historically for wind! I do have an actual hand made Aleut paddle which allows the boat to cruise at 6 mph but its heavy being wood.. I can't maintain that for long

Since 1996 I have been using a Wind Swift by Eddyline.. Only comes up to 240 cm.
https://www.trailexpeditions.com/ed...MIxOWH35HS4QIVDZ-fCh0C9AK6EAQYAiABEgIZoPD_BwE

Not as quick accelerating as a fatter Euro shape but more than a Greenland Paddle.

I also got a free AT SL Tour carbon fiber but I don't like the crank shaft as much

Yeah, I saw the total carbon one. A little pricey, and not as durable for bashing rocks at landings. I bought a 250 for the wife. It's over a lb lighter than the wood one she's using, which is really too long for her. If I can find the carbon one for $100 off, I may be tempted.

Yeah, I saw the total carbon one. A little pricey, and not as durable for bashing rocks at landings. I bought a 250 for the wife. It's over a lb lighter than the wood one she's using, which is really too long for her. If I can find the carbon one for $100 off, I may be tempted.

If you do opt for the cheaper versions just never use someone's all carbon version and see what you missed out on. LOL

Looks like I'd save 1.5 oz of weight for an additional $80 for the Camano Carbon. That's $852.80 per lb saved, My limit is $565 per lb. Would I really notice the difference in the paddle, or would the lighter wallet be the most noticeable thing?

Back