• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Big Island Lakes Canoe Area- Michigan

Reaction score
For my first real post I thought I would share my experience for one of my summer trips. I have visited the Big Island Lakes area before but this summer I planned a solo trip with my new to me Mad River Explorer.

The Big Island Lakes Wilderness is part of the Hiawatha National Forest in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It includes 23 small lakes and is maintained with paddlers and fishermen in mind. Here is a link to the forest service page on the area
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/hiawa...a/?recid=32286

01b5f266782ca4063849939a1ca059fb.jpg

There is really only one access point and I rarely see more than one other vehicle when I visit. There is a short portage to put in at the first lake.

I spent four days fishing and lounging in my hammock as well as exploring new portages and lakes I had not previously visited.

Day 1 included 4 portages and 4 lakes, bringing me to my new favorite campsite on Mcinnes Lake.

Portages and campsites are maintained by the forest service.

3a3fd210d5b046f8a67a0743678ddf75.jpg

All campsites include a fire ring/ grate. Here is a pic of my campsite for the trip.

1d7b4ee2ad70cdd6521d3b0bccae0210.jpg

I really enjoyed paddling and fishing in the various lakes. I stopped to take a few pictures of the floating bog plants

9c0e08aa20191db7adcbcf84d136a6ff.jpg

And a few of the views

8319c3f709ea15435f8c91f29dd23fee.jpg

While the area is very small it offers some great small water paddling and some of the best fishing around. It is a lesser known part of the park and doesn't have very many visitors. I would highly recommend it to any one who is up for a "mini" wilderness adventure

Last edited:
Nice! Like the floating bog plants, look like insect eating plants!!

Thanks for posting. Looks like a lovely hidden spot. That floating bog plant looks like something out of a sci-fi movie.

Is a very interesting picture, there's a lot going on in it. Looks like Round Leaved Sundew, the white flower, the yellow is Horned Bladderwort, also a 'carnivorous' plant. Rose Pogonia, Wild Cranberries, and it might have a Liverwort, the green at the waterline.

Very nice area, small lakes and small lake fishing makes for a nice trip, especially close to home.

Nice canoe, I'm guessing Kevlar? How do you like it?

Is a very interesting picture, there's a lot going on in it. Looks like Round Leaved Sundew, the white flower, the yellow is Horned Bladderwort, also a 'carnivorous' plant. Rose Pogonia, Wild Cranberries, and it might have a Liverwort, the green at the waterline.

While I have a biology background, I am no botanist. I was simply amazed at the diversity of the plants that were part of the floating bogs. My students get a kick out of watching videos of the sundew wrap up an insect! For good measure here is a pic of the pitcher plants I found as well

21428ae2fedea37f8fcd3a07e1d9ff28.jpg

Very nice area, small lakes and small lake fishing makes for a nice trip, especially close to home.

Nice canoe, I'm guessing Kevlar? How do you like it?

The canoe I used for this trip was a kevlar explorer from Vermont! and I am growing quite fond of it, borderline loving it. My feelings may be influenced by the amount of work I put into it when I first picked it up. The owner said if you can haul it away it's yours.

c11462dd877a2083edb246f791e439f2.jpg

After lots of elbow grease and many hours filled with an infinite number of swear words I had my new baby:

b5f049e73e31945ee3854f5704027c85.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome aboard and thanks for the trip report. I had no idea that park existed, I'm definitely going to have to check it out sometime, thanks for sharing.

Welcome aboard and thanks for the trip report. I had no idea that park existed, I'm definitely going to have to check it out sometime, thanks for sharing.

Let me know if you have any questions! You will not regret the trip.

Thanks for that trip report, looks like a great little area! MDB (My Darling Bride) is always saying we should venture beyond the Adirondacks. That spot looks to be a great place for a 1 or 2 night jaunt. Great photos, BTW.

Back