• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Bent Or Double

I found I had a need for both bend-shaft single blade and double-blade. I use a 54" Bending Branches bent shaft, and a 280cm Bending Branches Slice Glass Solo double-blade canoe paddle. I find that alternating them on longer trips engages two different sets of muscles and puts less strain on my aging body.

If you can wrangle a free bent it's worth playing with. Over time you can keep a Flash or Wild on course with 6-8 strokes per side without swapping. This does take some water time though
It's just like boats: messing about with paddles

It was such a hoot to go upstream on the Silver in a Wildfire with a bent. At first I didn't care for a bent but the more practice shown how it can shine and now I won't leave home without it

yellowcanoe

That sounds encouraging . I'm using a 56" straight . What length do you suggest in a bent ?

thistlecap,yellowcanoe

thanks

This coming spring is going to be interesting

Not to upstage Yellowcanoe The Wise, Powerful and All-Seeing, but the fact that you use a 56" straight shaft doesn't mean (a) it's the right length for you or (b) it translates to a 51" bent. With your boat loaded to its tripping weight, paddle it with anything - a broom handle will do - and note where the surface of the water is on the shaft when your grip hand is at shoulder height and the paddle is vertical in the water. That distance is your proper shaft length, no matter whether you're using a straight or bent paddle.

This guideline assumes the forearm of your grip hand is horizontal. It's OK to increase the shaft length by an inch or two - so your hand is about at chin height - provided you don't raise your grip-hand elbow above the horizontal. Do that and your shoulder will complain.

Last edited:
LOL... Its just a best guess..I paddle a 33 inch shaft straight and that translates usually into 54 overall. My bent paddle is 49.5. I did similar math for you. IIRC you are not that tall ( but taller than me( Wise powerful and all seeing.. Phil what you smoking? However his measurement via broom handle is how I start too.

Now Phil you get to come clean the coffee gook from my monitor!

I wish FFS was still on. That way I could bring my assortment of fine paddle lumber..NO way however will I part with my Zav. though.. OK the purists would choke on the carbon!

At least I am not reading this title as I did last week.. I spent a good bit of time bent double. Damchemo

Last edited:
With your boat loaded to its tripping weight, paddle it with anything - a broom handle will do - and note where the surface of the water is on the shaft when your grip hand is at shoulder height and the paddle is vertical in the water. That distance is your proper shaft length, no matter whether you're using a straight or bent paddle.

This guideline assumes the forearm of your grip hand is horizontal. It's OK to increase the shaft length by an inch or two - so your hand is about at chin height - provided you don't raise your grip-hand elbow above the horizontal. Do that and your shoulder will complain.

Philtrum's method is how I would select shaft length for a straight paddle for forward paddling on lakes -- basically pushing my grip hand straight out from my shoulder. For smooth moving water, I like another two inches of length to have more reach for draws, cross-draws and bow strokes. For whitewater, I like yet another two inches beyond that for low braces, to reach into eddies, and to plant high brace duffek strokes.

I use bent shaft paddles 90% of the time on lakes and want a paddle significantly shorter than my optimal straight paddle length. I want my grip hand to press downward on a forward stroke with a bent paddle -- not to go upward or even straight out. Down press with a stomach crunch with a bent.

So for example, my optimal lake straight paddle (grip hand punching straight out from the shoulder) is about 54"; my optimal moving water straight paddle is 56"; my optimal whitewater straight paddle is 58-59"; and all my bents are in the range from 48.5" (my favorite) to 50".

But I don't want to take four paddles on multi-day canoe trips where I might be on lakes and rivers, so I compromise on the optimal length of the paddle I use least, which is the straight paddle. My kit is now two carbon ZRE's: a 48.5" (optimal) bent and a 57" (compromise) straight.

Most bent shaft paddles are bent at a 13-15 degree bend. My personal favorite is a 7-8 degree bend, I find it a great combination of the control of a straight shaft and the added power of the bent shaft. Been at this paddling passion for 50 years so at this point I also enjoy one that weighs around 16 oz, all wood too - I can't seem to get into those composite ones.

Thanks again everyone. Very informative

After reading the last couple of posts I went ahead and ordered a dozen new paddles. In different lengths and materials. :).

Joking of course.

After reading the last couple of posts I went ahead and ordered a dozen new paddles. In different lengths and materials. :).

That's not nearly enough.

You need straight paddles of different lengths for paddling empty in three different waters: lakes, river currents, whitewater = 3 paddles

Then you need each two inches shorter to be of optimal length for a loaded boat = 6

Then you need bent shaft versions of each = 12

Then you need each paddle in a wood version and a carbon version = 24

Then you need each paddle with three different blade shapes: sugar island, animal tail, racing = 72

So, 72 paddles is the bare minimum. Then there are also different woods, various shapes of animal tail paddles and, of course, decorative and historical paddles. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Ad, almost, infinitum.

That's not nearly enough.

You need straight paddles of different lengths for paddling empty in three different waters: lakes, river currents, whitewater = 3 paddles

Then you need each two inches shorter to be of optimal length for a loaded boat = 6

Then you need bent shaft versions of each = 12

Then you need each paddle in a wood version and a carbon version = 24

Then you need each paddle with three different blade shapes: sugar island, animal tail, racing = 72

So, 72 paddles is the bare minimum. Then there are also different woods, various shapes of animal tail paddles and, of course, decorative and historical paddles. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Ad, almost, infinitum.

I'm so lacking.. I could get away with three. That I have 43 is my fault..not a need

43!!!!!

I don't think I own 43 of anything

I'm lacking. Hopefully I'll have two paddles by spring

Half of the 43 or so are paddles that are either woodburned art (gil gilpatrick) or unusual shapes and laminates. Some don't see the water. Some do. Some are Chris Jonson paddles or Kettlewells or Hiltons ( he made fine paddles for two years and died. I have an ottertail of paduk and black walnut) Ive been bidding on paddles at the WCHA auction for years.. at least 20.

Seldom am I tempted by store paddles.

No Title

Does quality of presentation count vs. lack of quantity?

Attachments

• photo1554.jpg
    photo1554.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 0
Oh; you know, Flash is great for attaining moving water because the bow rocker allows maneuverbility. Less rocker encourages the bow to lodge against current and makes for a frustrating day.

It seems straight blades function best for kneeling paddlers; bents for sitting ones due mostly to the torso rotation and reach limitations of each stance. Bents drive the hull a little faster mostly due to shorter stroke and higher cadence, but reduce finite control because draws and pries are always at compromised angles. Double blades are faster yet, because we can stop worrying about directional control and the cadence is higher yet, but they are wet, and further compromise maneuverability with those skinny little blades. Doubles also encourage sloth; exhibited as lazy, horizontal strokes that increase cyclical yaw and require the paddler to hold the paddle's weight in the air at arms length all dang day. Of note, single blades, bent or not, float their own weight during the stroke.

Whatever you do, never carry the blade aft of the body, increases yaw and causes casual observers to assume you are a donut. I also take exception with Glenn's 72 paddles, he forgot about spares, the real number is 144.

Charlie, your comments are well-said and well-taken. I would, however, quibble just slightly with your comment "never carry the blade aft of the body". Taken literally, that would eliminate a lot of strokes from anyone's repertoire. Did you mean to say something more like, "never bring the shaft-hand elbow aft of the body"?

. Did you mean to say something more like, "never bring the shaft-hand elbow aft of the body"?
That would be more in line with his countertop paddling demos but it seems more accurate to mention the hand instead of the elbow.

Maybe after more snow clearing or wine procuring. the author will be back

Back