• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Bell Yellowstone solo

Reaction score
So, like others here, I'm considering purchasing a used solo boat (or, even considering building a solo stripper- I'm pretty handy with woodwork) for Ontario, ADK, Maine tripping. There's a Yellowstone solo in Royalex for sale nearby for $750, but the few reviews I have found are rather old and superficial. Does anyone here have any personal experience with this boat? I'm interested in knowing if it's suited for both lakes and up to Class II rivers. One review referred to this boat as a "jack of all trades". As a tradesman, that usually implies that it may not be particularly good for any one thing- a compromise which often does nothing well. While I have experience up to Class IV, I have no intention to paddle that stuff these days, especially when alone on an extended trip.

Your thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks, Pat

Pat,

I sold my YS solo RX to a paddling friend this past fall when I purchased a new solo with more capacity. I am about 6' and 215#. The boat is a great boat but for me it was limited to day trips or maybe overnights without my dog. It is maneuverable in rapids and can catch eddies but it will be a wet ride sometimes in rapids when the load is about 250#. My friend is about 5'-10" and 160#, and he has paddled with both of his young daughters in the boat for day trips. If your total tripping weight is under about #280 and you don't mind shipping a tad bit of water in the Class II's. I consider it very stable as solo canoes go. I would have kept mine, but I needed the space for the new canoe. (I had it for 10 years) I think the price is a good one. I would have asked a little more than what your seeing, but he's my main paddling partner raising two young girls so he got it for four or five hundred bucks if recall. Here's a pic of him on an overnight and there's plenty of room/capacity for him.

Cheers,
Barry
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5105.JPG Views:	0 Size:	461.4 KB ID:	104926

I owned a roylex wildfire which is the same canoe. I used it for tripping and local creeks. It did ok, but I found it slow on flat water. It was also heavy for me. I paid $995 for it brand new from Mountiaman.

Hey Barry, thanks for your reply. I'm exactly as your friend, 5'10' and 160#! The boat I'm looking at has wood gunwales & deck caps, so maybe a bit heavier than yours, but still lighter than the tandems I'm accustomed to carrying. I come from a backpacking/climbing background so I tend to pack lightly, and don't carry a lot of luxuries. I cannot imagine a total load being more than 200# for me and my gear- maybe less for tripping a week at a time.

P.S. We're almost neighbors... I'm in southeast PA!

Thanks to you too Turtle. A lighter canoe would be nice, but a COB (cheap old b*st*rd) like me finds it hard to justify trading more dollars for fewer pounds! Or maybe I'm OK with suffering a little.

Last edited:
Hey Barry, thanks for your reply. I'm exactly as your friend, 5'10' and 160#! The boat I'm looking at has wood gunwales & deck caps, so maybe a bit heavier than yours, but still lighter than the tandems I'm accustomed to carrying. I come from a backpacking/climbing background so I tend to pack lightly, and don't carry a lot of luxuries. I cannot imagine a total load being more than 200# for me and my gear- maybe less for tripping a week at a time.

P.S. We're almost neighbors... I'm in southeast PA!

Thanks to you too Turtle. A lighter canoe would be nice, but a COB (cheap old b*st*rd) like me finds it hard to justify trading more dollars for fewer pounds! Or maybe I'm OK with suffering a little.

Than that boat would probably be a real good fit. My pal is Mr. Uber light, he cuts his hair the night before we go on hiking trips, dremels 75% of each zipper pull, cuts all tags, and sands the seams down 35% on the inside of his gear and clothes. He packs real light but always needs to borrow my JetBoil at dinner time:D.

I live in Altoona and try to paddle all over. I'm going to try and send out some forum wide invites occasionally to day trips this year on this site and maybe forum members will get a chance to meet and paddle new or favorite rivers. Its always helpful when folks can share the ins and outs of there favorite paddling spots and good water levels.

Barry

I've many miles of firsthand experience in a Bell Wildfire, which is said to be the same canoe, though I can't personally confirm it. I'm 6'0" 180 pounds and tend to travel light so my largest total load may have been 225 pounds. I've paddled extensively, with and without gear, on moderate sized lakes and moving water up to class III.

I love this boat. When kneeling it is remarkably to my liking. The initial stability is a bit tender but settles in quite solidly as you heel it over. I've recently re-outfitted it as a primarily sitting boat and widened it amidships by 1" (you can do this with Royalex!). This increased the initial stability when sitting just a wee bit, and also increased the rocker by an even smaller amount. Google for Wildfire and there is another gent who wrote this mod up and explained it. The only difference in performance that I have noticed is a tiny bit more initial stability, which is what I was seeking. I'm going to re-re-outfit it again to make sure I can still get my feet under the seat to kneel as I much prefer kneeling in rapids.

The tumblehome is about right and makes reaching the water for a vertical forward power stroke a snap. It also allows a number of fancy solo strokes and freestyle moves. I like reaching out and forward for a draw stroke and then continuing the turn to the paddle side with a sweep that arcs under the boat. No problem in the Wildfire.

The boat is very forgiving in moving water / whitewater with its relatively blunt entry. As reported it is not the fastest rig out there, though I have never had any issue at all keeping up with even fast light tandems. I think it is because at 14' I'm playing with much less wetted surface. The Wildfire is not going to win any races but neither is it a chore to keep it at cruising speeds all day. It is not perfect at holding a straight line and will weathercock like all boats, but it never breaks loose and skids into a turn. Trim can be important in winds and more than once I have added rocks for ballast to keep from blowing off the wind, but this would have been in extreme conditions, like 30 knots of wind. It really is a joy on moving water up to solid class II. Sideslips, eddies, ferries, whatever you will it to do and have the skills for, it will pull off. Again, as reported, it runs just a bit wet in bigger class III waves. Though I have run plenty of class III in it with nary a capsize it does keep you on your toes and you will need to stop and bail every now and then. With a sharp eddy line you better have your lean down pat.

At 40 pounds with the vinyl gunnels and end caps I'm still good throwing it on my roof racks unassisted and it is not too bad on a long portage, although I've a removable portage yoke for that purpose. Without the yoke it balances well on the front edge of the seat for moving it around.

This boat will be a gift to my kids someday, there is no way I would ever consider selling. It has become part of me.

For lots of heavy class III+ I would use something else. For miles and miles and miles of touring on big windy lakes I would use something else.
For an all around moderate size lake, moving water up to solid class II, day tripper to week long touring boat, it is perfect for me. Not a jack-of-all trades, but a perfect blend for what it is intended for.

If it's not too late for $750 I would snap it up in a heartbeat. (Where did you say it was located? ..... ;))

Monel

Photo below is Kenai Lake near Primrose.

kenai lake canoe.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	kenai lake canoe.jpg Views:	0 Size:	360.0 KB ID:	108940

Last edited:
I had an RX Wildfire for years, bought new at the Jersey Paddler, and it worked for me. If $750 is your budget, it is absolutely perfect for you at your weight. Mine had wood gunnels which I liked, but you must oil them now and then. It is an all purpose boat. Not fast on the flats but OK, decently maneuverable but not as maneuverable as the composite version. With my size 11 feet, the stock seat height was good for kneeling, but unloaded and sitting that high seat height is a bit dicey if you are not used to it, but I am heavier and taller than you. It can handle class II with decent technique but have float or dry bags tied in. If you have the means and desire, get a composite Wildfire, or step up to a similar 15'er, but those are rare used so you'll probably have to pay for new.

Last edited:
Back