• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Be Careful Out There...

Reaction score
central NYS - 10 miles from the Baseball Hall of F
http://www.newyorkupstate.com/southe...residents.html

Hey all - Magnus alluded to this in another thread but I figured it might be worth one of its own. The link above will take you to a story about an alligator that's been spotted in a river in upstate NY. On the news the other night the DEC and State Police said they think this was someone's pet that got too big so it was released.

We've had a lot of rain lately so this gator may now be downstream in the reservoir around Whitney Point. If it is, my guess is it will be able to stay out of hidden until the weather turns cold as there's a great deal of food available to it in this body of water. I just hope some family with kids aren't the ones to "discover" it again; if you know what I mean.

Bottom line, as unbelievable as this report seems to be, it just shows that sometimes you can't plan for everything so it's best to be aware of our surroundings.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Lest anyone from up north freak out over this, alligators are not anything to be terrified of when paddling. If the news story is true, the alligator probably only cares about a paddler enough to get away from them. Unless you have a small dog in your boat, you're probably not attractive.

Soon that poor gator will suffer . Freezing temps and cold blooded reptile don't mix. He or she will seek heat when the air is cold and gloomy it will be way underwater

It will find its way to lake Placid.....then the joke I always say when someone goes there will be real, lol. Poor gator, stupid people think it's ok to let these things go

Man, right in my backyard, I mainly paddle the Tioghnioga and Otselic rivers which drain right into Whitney. Whitney Point is a fun little place as well, good place to camp if you don't get caught...

Was thinking the same as boatstall. We only encountered about thirty gators last Saturday on blackwater creek here in FL. Now I know why. Some one must be selling them timeshare bank spots in Newyork.:rolleyes: Any way the gators are mostly ok. It is the manatee you have to watch out for.

Back