• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Barrell Outfitting for a Canoe

Reaction score
I've been canoe tripping for many years, and like most of us my packing techniques have evolved over time. In my teenage Grumman years we started with fresh cut tree limbs arched across the gunwales, gear on top and the bilge water would flow underneath. Then waterproof options became into play - plastic garbage bags, drywall buckets, then dry bags!!. Some friends of mine tripped with me recently and I was introduced to the blue barrel. Later on other friends introduced me to Gamma Lids on buckets - they work with sizes up to 7 gallons. So I've converted to hard shelled dry storage. Photos of my 7 gallon dry storage project - click on the link.

Let me try again. Perhaps click on slide show.

https://canoebarrelloutfitting.shutterfly.com/

Last edited:
Sure. I use barrels and buckets in the Everglades all the time. For portaging just the barrel with an Ostrom harness. Sometimes you have to keep all the critters out and raccoons in the Everglades are as persistent, even more, than small rodents in the Arctic.

The Gamma Seal buckets do come with a small diameter O ring. Don't lose it. Otherwise the lids will allow leakage. I don't use buckets for portaging though I believe two will fit in some Cooke Custom Sewing packs.

I don't use buckets for portaging though I believe two will fit in some Cooke Custom Sewing packs.

This is probably an out of bounds comment on this site, but I consider the English translation of the French word "portage" to be "Poorly planned trip.". But I am aging and while I once pretended to be a mule while backpacking, I no longer wish to haul vast weight on my back.

So the barrels will work just fine for my use, down river tripping and camping at the riverside.

This is probably an out of bounds comment on this site, but I consider the English translation of the French word "portage" to be "Poorly planned trip.". But I am aging and while I once pretended to be a mule while backpacking, I no longer wish to haul vast weight on my back.

So the barrels will work just fine for my use, down river tripping and camping at the riverside.

You have an audience of some Eastern Canadians. Canoeing in Shield country involves portaging on rivers with unrunnable rapids and between lakes. We are all aging but some of us are interested in portaging comfortably. I regret to say that I have learned nothing new in this thread which is unfortunate considering your many years of experience. I will agree in the Everglades, portaging is usually due to poor planning or wind pushing all the water out.

Where have you tripped?

Last edited:
Back