• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Bag vs barrel

Reaction score
I currently have a Watershed Mississippi bag. These things are bombproof and are used on the grand canyon etc. That said, I see the goto are the blue barrels in canoes. While Im not opposed to getting a barrel, I do wonder if my bag is sufficient. Why aren't the Watershed bags not more popular? Cost?

It depends on what your tripping style is. Your Watershed Mississippi Bag looks like a duffle which would be sufficient for downriver paddling with minimal portages. Once portages are involved you would be better served by a barrel with harness or a Duluth style pack which can be waterproofed with liners.

Your bag should be fine if it suits your style and some government official doesn't mandate use of a barrel where you go. Personally, coming from a backpacking background, I hang bear bags and see no need for barrels. Most of what I carry is dried; home de-hydrated or side dishes (think Idahoan potatoes or Knorr noodles) so crushing is not an issue. They're packed in Opsak odor-proof bags inside a large dry bag and the whole deal is then shoved in my pack.

Bottom line for me is do whatever you find easiest without buying a bunch of new stuff.

If backpacking in certain areas of the Adirondacks, solid sided commercially made officially certified bear resistant containers are required for all food items and "smellables", regardless of how securely they are internally sealed and packaged. Soft side Ursack bags, for example do not qualify. Blue barrels also do not meet the formal certification testing requirement as far as I know. Thankfully, those designated restricted areas do not yet include most canoe routes, and hanging of bear bags is still permitted when camping.

However, on the Yukon River, when paddling through the Yukon-Charlie National Preserve in Alaska, the certification solid canister regulation does apply if you camp overnight while in the Preserve. I had to purchase a lockable certifed bear resistant Yeti to meet that purpose.

Last edited:
I have four different sizes of Watershed duffels and they are excellent. In addition to duffels, Watershed also sells waterproof back pack bags although I have not used them.

The main advantage I see to barrels over soft-sided duffels and packs is that the barrels are relatively rodent proof. Where I do overnight or longer canoe trips these days, rodents are a much bigger problem than bears.

I use barrels for floatation. They are secured like an air bag. This makes it possible to re-enter a swamped canoe. However, I only recommend this with lighter gear.

If you use anything as floatation I recommend you practice flipping and re-entry. Both to test the outfitting and to train yourself.

Watershed has superb products. I’m sure cost gets in the way of purchasing them. I first saw one a guide had.

Patagonia is now making duffels and backpacks with waterproof zippers. None of that squeezing and rolling down business.

I bought a duffel on sale and plan to design some shoulder straps for it. I am hoping that with a duffel I will not have to totally empty the dry bag in order to find something.

I’ve never used blue barrels or other hard-sided containers. I’ve never traveled where bears are a problem.

I don't like barrels and have never used them. They don't collapse as they empty as a soft-sided pack will do, which I prefer but others don't care about. They don't necessarily conform to all shape canoes, particularly solos. They are heavy. Used ones smell, and we have humorous threads here about attempts to deodorize them. To portage, you have to buy an expensive barrel strap harness, which is useless for anything else, or DIY some kludgy straps on your own.

The only problem with a duffel without shoulder straps is that it would be less convenient to carry on long portages than something with backpack straps. They are fine for non-portage trips and whitewater trips, and they will provide a measure of flotation. I wish I had a Watershed-type day bag, but they are getting too expensive for my shrinking wallet.

Typically I use a dry bag for food and a small pack for the kitchen kit. I never saw myself using a barrel, but last year I broke down and purchased an RBW barrel package, with a 30L barrel, the harness, buckets, cooler and pockets. I've used it on some ADK trips (with no or short carries) and actually like it. Recently I had my Sawyer Autumn Mist modified (the front thwart was moved back) so it fit much more easily in the front of the boat. If I leave out the cooler or one bucket, I can fit a basic cook kit in there, thereby eliminating the small pack. Recently I purchased a Coho "Pack & Carry" box on sale at Costco to try out as a semi- "wannigan." It's the right size to fit up front in the Sawyer and I found the pockets, trays and the storage below allows me to take along a more comprehensive kitchen kit, while also doubling as a table or seat. I plan on using it for base camping trips and will be taking it out for the first time later this month. We'll see...

Attachments

• Coho Pack and Carry Box.jpg
    Coho Pack and Carry Box.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Coho Pack & Carry.jpg
    Coho Pack & Carry.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 11
I started off using a bear canister for my food, but last year I purchased a RBW 30 liter barrel and organizers and switched to using that.

It simplified my approach quite a bit. I'm able to keep my food and cooking kit in one container. The 30 liter barrel is a good size for me.

The majority of my trips don't include portages. If I were to do more trips with portages, I would put the barrel in a harness or a pack.

For general gear, I have been using roll-top dry bags. I like the utility of duffle bags, though. I use a ULA duffle as a catch-all for small items, and I also have an Alpine Threadworks duffle that I used for the first time on my last trip.

The Alpine Threadworks duffle is lined with waterproof fabric and has a water resistant zipper. It worked well. The bag got quite wet while paddling, but everything inside stayed dry. And it was nice digging for things in a duffle instead of a dry bag.

I can see the Watershed duffle bags being very useful as well.

I’m still “old school” and continue to use my Duluth and Frost River packs with plastic liners. They portage well, especially with a canoe overhead, and in 35 years (even with exclusive down sleeping bags), no wet gear. I do have a separate nylon dry bag that I put my sleeping bag in now. I just haven found anything better that works for me.

i just use my Knupac:

1686223616588.png

10.5' Hornbeck (leaving on a 185 mile cross-ADK trek - eventually including 62 miles of accumulated portages )
1686223687129.png

Knupac and gear secured in Hornbeck under a home made cover
1686223918695.png

32' cedarsttrip voyageur (for Knupac promo photo only)
XfaQZR8.jpg

Last edited:
I find the barrels (and barrel organizing bags) indispensable on larger group trips where the quantities of food are significant. They're easy and straightforward to access and reseal for any member of the group, even newbies, and they're bombproof if someone dumps. For smaller groups and/or solo paddling, they're pretty cumbersome.

I generally don't trust waterproof zippers because I've seen many fail due to overstuffing (fishpond and Yeti panga duffles), but that Watershed Mississippi bag looks pretty nice. I like how the pattern shape allows for extra material around the zipper, ostensibly to help isolate the zipper from the tension of an overstuffed bag.

Last edited:
I find the barrels (and barrel organizing bags) indispensable on larger group trips where the quantities of food are significant. They're easy and straightforward to access and reseal for any member of the group, even newbies, and they're bombproof if someone dumps. For smaller groups and/or solo paddling, they're pretty cumbersome.

I generally don't trust waterproof zippers because I've seen many fail due to overstuffing (fishpond and Yeti panga duffles), but that Watershed Mississippi bag looks pretty nice. I like how the pattern shape allows for extra material around the zipper, ostensibly to help isolate the zipper from the tension of an overstuffed bag.
I have heard of the seal of a Watershed duffel fail one time but have no way of knowing whether the seal was closed correctly. The seal has no zipper, by the way. It works like a zip-lock closure on steroids.

You are correct in that when after sealing the closure and folding it over, it is secured by four separate nylon straps, two of which are adjustable for the size of the contents, which are secured with nylon side-release buckles. That takes any tension off the closure that might stress it or cause it to open.

The Mississippi bag is really big. I think that most paddlers would be better served by a somewhat smaller duffel like the Colorado, or perhaps a couple of smaller bags which will be lighter to carry and easier to find things in.

Sweet rig. What brand of cover is that? I like how it stretches over the gear in the back. Thanks.
It is a completely home made cover. Coated Fabric from Jo-ann Fabrics, a bag of snaps from the hardware store, and a pool noodle rolled with an inserted wood dowel as a stiff water dam to divert any water, splash or rain, bow and stern. Made to fit over the knupac behind the seat. It all rolls up into a small bag for ease of portage.

The watersheds are bombproof.
I have 2, a 60ish-liter backpack and a smaller 20-ish liter duffel. I only wish for a sturdier, padded hip belt on the backpack. Barrels (and their attendant nice, padded, burly carrying systems) seem like a nice easy way to go, but I would be hard pressed to spend another X dollars to find out when what I've got works fine.

Cargo vans, pickup trucks, and station wagons. They all haul but in different styles. I've owned and driven each and would be hard pressed to choose which I preferred as each was best suited to different tasks. This is my poor analogy for packs, barrels, and duffle bags.
Packs I find the most comfortable to carry large or small, but unless you use a clamshell opening style backpack you'll face the same chore of packers everywhere. Diving in from the top opening to search for that all elusive whatever. Packing cubes/organizers help solve this.
That's where duffels excel. Full length side opening makes packing/unpacking so easy. Provided the carry straps are sized appropriately the bag can be carried as a backpack. The shoulder strap works as a tump I've found.
For hard sided containers the barrels work very well, but only if you need durable waterproof protection for your contents. Harnesses make them suitable for backpacking over portages though I find them (30L and 60L) less comfortable than soft-sided packs.
This vs that makes for good comparisons for whatever you're doing, wherever, and whenever. All three choices have their own advantages and disadvantages, which might be why I have some of each category. Our small barrel is ideal for food/kitchen. Organizers keep it tidy inside. Our 115L dry pack is great for gear we only unpack once a day, tent, sleeping bags etc. and is very comfortable to wear fully loaded. The canvas packs just feel right and can't be beat. The sizeable duffel (maybe 50Lish) is for all and sundry we may want access to at any given time.
There have been times I've driven the old truck wishing I had my van again, driving my van wishing I had my old pickup, and yes there are times I miss the old wagon. I didn't set out to own packs, duffels and barrels but I'm glad to have the choice. But that doesn't mean you need to park all three in the driveway.

Last edited:
I switched from bags to barrels decades ago and never looked back. A barrels does far more than just keeping your food dry- it also protects it from being squashed and is virtually rodent proof (use one of those cheap screw-gate carabiners made for keys to make it raccoon proof). My barrels have an excellent harness designed with extra padding down both sides to cradle the barrel and pad your shoulder blades, a fully adjustable suspension system based on internal frame setups (it even has tuggem straps to adjust the load), and both chest and waist straps. My only regret is that the MFR went out of business (Tent City) and I can't buy replacements.
the only drawback to barrels is the seal, they can go bad over time and prevent a good seal, but there are many places that now sell replacement seals. Even the volume issue can be a plus- as the qty of food goes down, the contents of the kitchen pack slowly takes it's place. by the end of the trip it's carrying the food, all the kitchen gear (minus the stove and fuel), and other gear that's rarely used, I've even placed my sleeping bag in on occasion in really crappy weather or if a pack fails.
Plus an upside-down barrel makes an excellent bar or card table....

Hey everyone . I have an unusual question. I am from Europe - Poland. I want to buy a barrel but it makes no sense to order from Canada or the US if we have the same ones at home. There is one problem. Ours are identical but no one uses canoes because everyone kayaks here. Few people have canoes. Our barrels are used to store food and hazardous materials. These barrels are visually the same as yours. These barrels have a yellow vent piece. The manufacturers do not test them to be waterproof when the barrel falls into the water. They can't promise me. Do your barrels also have this yellow vent? Help!!!

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 6
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 3
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 4
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg