• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Avenza Maps

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on maps to download to use with the Avenza app. I'm especially interested in the BWCA/Quetico and Woodland Caribou PP area. Thanks for your help.

I can't speak to anything more specialized for those two areas in particular, but both the US Geologic Survey and National Resources Canada topo quad maps are free in the Avenza store, so that's what I generally use.

Over the last couple of years, I have been downloading topo maps from the US Forest service for the BWCA from the app as back up to my paper maps.....newer additions cost $.99, but have much better detail than the usgs maps for the same area, even showing portages and campsites.....with that said, that may not be the case across the board.....I would suggest looking at all maps available for that area you are traveling through and see who offers the most current version.

Mike

Thank you for the replies. I was hoping there would be one or two maps covering the area rather than dozens of topos. I downloaded the topos and added the campsite and portage locations from paddleplanner.com. Pretty affordable way of having a backup GPS on your iphone.

CalTopo www.caltopo.com allows you to view maps online and make custom maps in georeferenced PDF format. You can use the georeferenced PDFs with Avenza.

CalTopo allows you to view and blend various layers, including USGS topos, US Forest Service topos, USFS motor vehicle use maps, public land ownership, Open Street Map, Map Builder Topo, marine charts, aeronautical charts, satellite photos, and historical maps.

Here is a map I made using CalTopo of the Otter Creek Wilderness Area in W.Va.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tglt8k0ym9x8l0q/otter creek topo 62.5K.pdf?dl=0
IIRC, I used USFS topo maps, USFS motor vehicle use maps, public land ownership, Open Street Map, and Map Builder.

Back