• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Audio Books

Reaction score
I am headed on a cross country trip (United States) soon and am looking for suggestions on audio books. I love the classics and anything outdoor related.

It isn’t canoe tripping oriented (forgive me), but headed from CT to the motherland- central Illinois to pick up the car I helped my father restore and drive in High School. Bittersweet- my father had a stroke recently and is unable to drive these days. I am beyond excited to drive it again, but it will be sad to see my father in his current condition. I appreciate the suggestions.

Bob

Bob, I listened to "Astoria" by Peter Stark this spring. It's essentially the story of how John Jacob Astor attempted to settle the pacific northwest just a few years after Lewis and Clark's journey, and his quest to control international trade and commerce. If you don't know much about the enterprise, or if you only know a little you will be surprised at the chain of disaster, bad luck, incompetence and poor decision making. Obviously I highly recommend it. I grew up as a young kid in Springfield, where are you from?

Mark

Thanks Mark. That sounds right up my alley. I read The Pioneers by David McCullough recently which sounds similar, but about the Ohio territory. I grew up in Springfield as well.

Bob

I enjoyed the Paul Doiron series about a Maine Game Warden. There are ten books in the series so far. I suppose most Americans have already read Tom Wolfe's stuff, but I started listening to his books last year. Bonfire of the Vanities, Back to Blood.....I thought they gave me a pretty good picture of aspects of American society that I knew nothing about...but what would I know, eh?

Sorry to hear about your father Bob. I hope he can find peace in his current condition. I'm sure you miss paddling the Sangamon River, right? I still have cousins there, but my aunts, uncles and parents are all gone besides my mother who moved to Seattle 40 years ago. Aside from all the cousins I grew up with, about the only thing I miss about Springfield is being able to get a horseshoe. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Ha-yes i do know. I didn’t get into paddling until after college when I lived in Chicago looking for reasons to get out of the city. I’m sure a lot of us can relate to small towns like that. A great place to grow up and a better place to leave. Wasn’t much there for me either.

Bob

Back