• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Athabasca River - last paddle of 2018?

Reaction score
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
I thought I'd post a short report about what is likely to be my last paddle of 2018. The trip took place Tuesday, November 13 then we got snow and our ski trails are packed and tracks have been set and I've been skiing. The changing of the seasons.

A friend had been up in Jasper National Park on the weekend (Nov. 10 and 11) and saw that the Athabasca River was open. He suggested we go for a paddle down the Athabasca River from Old Fort Point to the 12 Mile Bridge so we went on Tuesday, November 13. With the promise of a shuttle available from a friend in the town of Jasper we were able to drive only one vehicle up to the put in at Old Fort Point. We got to the put in at about 11:30 and were ready to launch about 11:45. We put the canoe on the ice along the shore, loaded it and then dragged it across the ice to where we decided to start.
46196153_971383423044926_716020466136907776_n by Ralph5145, on Flickr

We lined the canoe up so that it was perpendicular to the edge of the ice, pushed it as far forward as we could, my buddy got in the bow and we moved the canoe further into the water then I got in the stern and we wiggled and pushed our way into the water and got underway.

46276203_971383426378259_395486773368586240_n by Ralph5145, on Flickr

The water level was low but there was enough water so that we only touched in a couple of places and those were mainly due to poor decisions by the pilot. We saw 2 American Dippers, many, many ravens, several mergansers, a bald eagle, a golden eagle and 6 bull elk. We stopped for lunch in a sheltered spot that was out of the wind yet in the sun. We stopped later to have a look at the group use area near the Jasper Airport. There is a picnic shelter, water supply, wood supply, 2 large wood-fired barbeques, picnic tables, a number of benches and an area that looks like it was built for wedding services. Very interesting.
IMG_2500 by Ralph5145, on Flickr

IMG_2501 by Ralph5145, on Flickr

The river was quite low and, in places there were extensive sand/mud/gravel flats.

IMG_2503 by Ralph5145, on Flickr

IMG_2505 by Ralph5145, on Flickr

After our stop at the group site, the wind really started to blow and, surprise, surprise, it was a tail wind. We arrived at the take out at the bridge early and were able to hide from the wind in the shelter of a bank and some trees and relax. While waiting for our shuttle ride to arrive we also went for a walk and were amazed at the amount of dust that rose from the grass and low bushes as we walked along. Our ride arrived, we loaded ourselves into her vehicle, drove back to Old Fort Point, retrieved my van and went home. All in all, a very good day. Look at this view with Mount Edith Cavell in the background!
IMG_2507 by Ralph5145, on Flickr
Wish you could have joined us.

Last edited:
Thanks, for the information. It's the first time I've tried to post images. I will probably need some assistance. It looked like I could just upload pictures but, evidently, I can't so, how do I post pictures?
Thanks,
Ralph

I had the same problem, Ralph. To get around this, I got an account on Flickr, uploaded to Flickr, and then downloaded to Canoetripping. That last step was not intuitive. Let me know if you upload to Flickr, and I can tell you what I did next.

It's good to know that someone else has issues with posting pictures. I do have a Flickr account and when I finally learned how to post to other websites, Flickr has changed the procedure. Now, when I try to post to another website, it says that I have to "link back to Flickr" in order to get the link. I have no idea how to do that.
So you know what I used to do on Flickr was: Upload my pictures. Select the picture I wanted to link to a website. Click on the Download icon on Flickr. Select "show all sizes". A new screen comes up with the various possible sizes. I pick one that will be accepted by the target website. I used to be able to Right Click and get a link that I could post on the website but... now when I try to do that, I get a message just below the picture which sends me to the "Terms of Service". Evidently, I'm supposed to know what to do from that point but I don't.
Help!
Ralph

Select the picture I wanted to link to a website. Click on the Download icon on Flickr. Select "show all sizes". A new screen comes up with the various possible sizes. I pick one that will be accepted by the target website. I used to be able to Right Click and get a link that I could post on the website but... now when I try to do that, I get a message just below the picture which sends me to the "Terms of Service". Evidently, I'm supposed to know what to do from that point but I don't.

It's not the "download" button you want but rather the "share photo" button (arrow pointing to the right) that's next to it. That will give you a list of choices depending on where you want to share it. Choose "BBC Code" for this forum and then you can select the size you want. On the same window it will give you the link. Just copy and paste that link into the text of your post here.

Alan

A very ambitious trip...good job getting out one last time guys. I think we are done here for the year now, although there is still a channel open on the Assiniboine...probably not enough water to dip a paddle though.

Christy

Thanks Ralph, wishing I could have joined you too. I really appreciate you posting this end of season trip. What a view!!

Beautiful. It’s sad when you’re pretty sure it’s going to be the last trip of the year, and yet wonderful that you get to savor it one more time.

Back