• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Another new guy looking for advice on first quality canoe

Thanks guys.

My grandfather used to race canoes and when he heard about my new interest he gifted my wife and I an older 18' Sawyer Cruiser, which will become our new tandem boat and I will move the Guide along to someone else who will appreciate it.

I'm now searching specifically for a solo boat, which narrows the field a bit. Just need to decide on paddle type.

You all have been most helpful, I do appreciate your time.

Okay, after a few more days of reading and ideas bouncing all over the place, I think I've got it down to a 14-16' solo fiberglass boat. I'd like an option that can be kayak-paddled across lakes, in wind, and up stream. I'd like to also have the option of single blade paddling down winding rivers and shallow/tight streams.

I'd like a relatively efficient/fast boat, and I value straight tracking above easy turning while I am still getting my technique dialed in.

The Nova Craft Fox 14 appears to be a good option, and their factory is only a couple hour's drive for me. Do you guys have opinions on that specific boat? I know it's pretty new to market.

What other makes/models should I be searching? How viable is it to kayak paddle something like a Prospector 15? I don't mind moving seats and thwarts or adding foot pegs if that's what it takes.

My budget remains around $1000US but I can probably flex it up a few hundred for the right boat. I still need to buy good paddles and few other things.

Thanks

Congratulations on the Cruiser, they are a most sought after Sawyer canoe. Is it fiberglass or Kevlar?
I don't that you would need to limit yourself to fiberglass with your $1000 budget, there are several nice used Kevlar's on the market right now. What is your location and how fare are you willing to travel to find a suitable boat? I search using Searchtempest with a certain mileage range.
There is a Mad River Independence in PA right now.

Last edited:
The Sawyer is fiberglass, been stored inside for 10ish years and is in great shape. I think it will make a wonderful family tripping boat for us.

I am in SE Michigan and have been looking on Searchtempest within 400 miles. I'd be willing to travel 4-5hrs one way for the right deal.

My biggest problem now is not knowing what models suit my desires and I don't want to go drop a grand on a boat that wont do what I want.

My most common waters includes smooth rocks and some shallow sandbars, I was thinking fiberglass would be a good mix of speed, weight, and durability that fits my budget pretty well.

Last edited:
I wish an Indy like that would be available close to me.....

TFin, you will have to choose between fast and straight-tracking and easy to turn. Starting out in solos though, straight-tracking will be less frustrating most of the time. You can make such a boat turn though, if you don't need it to turn quickly. I paddle a Dagger Sojourn on the local class 1+ river that has a lot of twists in it - even though it is a hard-tracking boat. It helps a lot to have good secondary stability so you can edge aggressively. Don't rule out royalex and used boats, BTW.

You can use a double paddle in just about any canoe you can solo, but the width of the boat, angle of stroke, and seating position will determine the length of shaft needed. I use a 230 in the Sojourn on rare occasions (wind), and that canoe is 28" wide. More important, will be your preferred seating position. Some solos do better kneeling and others do better sitting - and some do well either way. My Sojourn, as an example, works good sitting on calm water, but does much better, especially on rough water, (or I should say I do much better) when kneeling. Adding a foot brace has helped with sitting.

That Indy would Probably be a good choice for you, if it was close enough

I've been in contact with the owner of that Independence posted above. He's driving to my area soon for a wedding and may be able to meet up. Is $875 a good price for that boat? Is it something that I can paddle kayak or single? Would you consider it more of a fast calm water boat or a quick turning river boat? Specs I find say rocker of 2.5" on each end, which I think lands kind of in the middle?

Thanks for your help, just trying to make the most informed decision I can and I don't know a ton about these boats yet.

Yes to all. You can paddle most any solo with a kayak paddle. And don't feel you have to fall into either single or double. That's stereotyping and quite inaccurate
Just pick a boat that seems reasonable and work with it every day possible
FreeStyle canoeing was developed by canoe trippers in the 80's as a way to make their then almost all straight keeled touring canoes be more responsive on twisty streams
It works the curve of the sides of the canoe and pitch of the canoe to make the canoe turn easier. We've had Indies brought to class as well as more rocketed boat and less rocketed boats
875 seems ball park but if glass try a lower starting price

If all goes as planned you will learn a lot and perhaps become another boat slut like some of us are. Others are quite content with one. Or two if a kayak is involved

Last edited:
Thanks. Also found a Wenonah Vagabond in Royalex for $825 within three hours drive. I assume the RX boat will be a bit slower, and obviously heavier. Any major differences between the two to consider?

I wouldn't hesitate to pay that price for a kev Indy in very good condition. I suspect that the one in question here has been re-gunwaled, so the quality of that job will be an issue - as will be the reason the work was required (impact damage, left out in weather, etc).

I haven't had the opportunity to try one out, but the Indy has a reputation as a hard-tracker. It is also often compared to its big brother tandem, the Malecite - which I have spent a lot of time in. My Malecite has a solo seat, and was the closest thing I had to a solo canoe for a long time. It takes more effort and/or better technique to make it turn tight, but as Yellowcanoe implied, it can be done reliably with practice. Based on my experience in the Sojourn and the short time I spent in a Mad River Liberty, I would expect that the Indy would be easier to turn than the solo Malecite.

I recently started playing around with a MR Outrage. I can now state without any doubt - I would rather start soloing with a canoe that tracks hard and learn to make it turn, than start out with a canoe that turns easy and learn how to make it track (oh, and deal with the lower efficiency). But that's just me, and I'm lazy like that. ;)

I've been in contact with the owner of that Independence posted above. He's driving to my area soon for a wedding and may be able to meet up. Is $875 a good price for that boat? Is it something that I can paddle kayak or single? Would you consider it more of a fast calm water boat or a quick turning river boat? Specs I find say rocker of 2.5" on each end, which I think lands kind of in the middle?

Thanks for your help, just trying to make the most informed decision I can and I don't know a ton about these boats yet.
I would pay $875 if I were in the market. You can double blade any solo as long as the blade is long enough. Less angle will mean dryer legs. :)
It looks like they have snaps for a paddling cover, ask if they have the cover for it. It would make a nice option to stay dry, and even warmer in the shoulder seasons.

Last edited:
Back