• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Another Maine Paddler

G

Hello all,
We just picked up our first canoe. As much as I wanted to find a wooden something or other, maybe at least the gunwales, the wisdom of my wife prevailed. Between the sailboat, the 30 year old daily driver Land Rover and the house I've enough to maintain, we found an Old Town Charles River in poly. Really like the lines and tumblehome and from what I can tell, paddles well too. I'm not yet too decrepit to get its 80#'s on the Subaru solo, Rover may be another story. Spent a good bit of time in a canoe as a teen, no idea what I was doing then, not much has changed but I'm enjoying learning. We've been out on a few local lakes/ponds and up to the Machias Lakes region for a bit of canoe camping, we both loved it.

Looks like a great site with a good bunch. I've lurked a bit and enjoyed, thought I'd say hello.
Gene

Hi Gene,
Hope you enjoy your new canoe, and I agree about the Machias Lakes region, been there a few times and it's always been great.
Welcome.
Robin

TG Gene where in Maine are you? It would be nice to spend some time on a day trip with locals from around "heah". I agree on the Machias Ponds.. Especially in the fall.

Thanks Robin and YC. I'm at the top of the Penobscot Bay, Blue Hill peninsula, looks like you've Sebago lake at your front door and plenty else to keep you paddling.

I try to get to my daughter's place with a canoe on the roof as often as possible, she's not far south of you Gene is Hope, Maine. A really nice canoeing are, many small ponds to explore and as my Grandsons get a little older, lots of day trips fishing with Grandpa.

Back