• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Another Algonquin trip June2014

Reaction score
Well I went back to Algonquin for my seventh trip there. A good time was had by the mosquitoes. And by me, too. It's pretty much a repeat of a loop I did last fall, but accessed from a different lake. Had great weather with light winds, but also experienced one of the heaviest rainfall days in the park, at close to 40mm. Link here:

Done part of that trip but not from Rock.. the Louisa portage is pretty nice.. Not sure I want to do it twice.

Though I did do that Rod and Gun twice...sonof a gun steep one with an animal in the middle.

Great pictures and the maps with your remarks really helped me follow your route. I always like campsite pictures, they show how others set up and equipment used, nice chair and your satellite device with email capabilities is amazing to me.
Thanks for sharing a nice trip.

A question..re In Reach.. How did you keep your phone charged for six days? Or did you use In Reach alone?

Thanks for your comments. @yellowcanoe I would hate to do Rod and Gun going upward! Louisa May be long, but it's not hilly. Re: battery. I kept my phone off except for the times when I was connecting to the InReach device to send messages. If I didn't get a reply within 20 minutes I shut it down and got the reply the next evening when I fired up the device again. I used it three nights, and then once I was satisfied that it would work, I told my girlfriend I would send a message only if delayed, etc... @Robin I like to see how others set up camp, as well. Now that I've got pretty much all the gear a guy reasonably needs, I tend to take camp shots only if some innovation occurs. The CCS tarp I got from Harlan, the Helinox chair, the Bushbuddy clone twig stove, and the satellite device are this year's fun new items--all good purchases, I think. The satellite thing bothered me on some level at first, but it gives peace of mind to my girlfriend, so it is worth the cost, the weight, and the "disruption."

Last edited:
Back