• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Almost lost one

Reaction score
Last night we had intense wind storms in CNY. I keep my grumman down by the water during the winter for easy access. The waves were massive yesterday. I have at least 10 feet of clearance between the water and the canoe. In no way did I expect this to be an issue. I checked the canoe before the sun went down and all was fine. This morning I found it in the drink. I had to get waist deep and attach a come along, but I was able to get it out. It was also had about 200 pounds of stones in it. It still looks completely sound which is surprising. Way to go Grumman!

Attachments

• 20240110_084442.jpg
    20240110_084442.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 45
A number of years ago I paddled my Magic down the local river and when I reached shored pulled it up on the bank and walked to my friend's house a few blocks away for a shuttle.

We got to talking and a good while later, as I pulled up with my car to retrieve the boat, it wasn't there which meant either someone stole it or it slid back into the water and down the river.

At that point it was pretty much dark so next morning I got up early with another boat and started paddling downstream. First thing I found after about 1/4 mile was one of my Zav paddles caught in a strainer. Another 1/4 of a mile downriver I found the canoe in a strainer about 1/4 full of water. I pulled it ashore, tied it to a tree, paddled back to the put-in, and came back for it after work.

That weekend I went for another paddle and after continuing farther downstream I eventually found my other Zav paddle in another strainer.

All's well that ends well.

Alan

More so than John Cameron Swayze's Timex watches, a Grumman can take a licking and keep on ticking.

Alan, you were certainly fortunate to get those expensive paddles back as well as your canoe undamaged.

That must have been some storm!

I once heard at a whitewater takeout:
Owner: You can't destroy these Grummans.
Kayaker: Yeah, no matter how much you want to.

Glad to hear that it survived without damage; I don't think that I have a canoe that could withstand that beating. Do you think the wind picked it up or the waves got that high?

I think the waves got it. I don't know how. It was upside down and waves were crashing hard into shore.I have been on this lake for over a decade and have never seen them that big. They may have been five footers.

Alan- I don't know how you slept that night. I wouldn't have been able to

I saw that. 79 mph at the Watertown airport. I'm on Otisco Lake. We had gusts just under 60. I just had my power restored after 24 hours. It was not fun.

Rain and tides did the most damage here. Though a couple of boats broke lines from wave action in the harbor.
I've had two canoes blow away, one in a microburst, the other in a hurricane. Both were recovered and repaired.

Back