Algonquin-Ragged, Big Porcupine Lk Sept 2012

How did you like the new boat?

I really liked the Keewaydin. I don't have a lot of experience with solo canoes, so i can only compare it to the Osprey that I tried a few weeks earlier. In addition, I used a straight shaft paddle with the Osprey, and a kayak paddle with the Keewaydin. So I'll leave the full review to an expert.

That said, they are very similar boats. The Keewaydin is narrower by a smidge. It tracked well. I never heeled it over to check the secondary stability, or really played around with it much. It did everything I asked of it, and I felt really comfortable in it, even in really strong winds and choppy waves. And the model i rented was really light and wonderful to portage. In general it just felt a little "sleeker" than the Osprey.

Can't really say more, because the huge revelation for me was the kayak paddle--I won't ever go back to a regular paddle (for flatwater canoeing). The joy and ease of use in windy conditions meant that I never once used the canoe paddle that i brought as back-up. So how does the canoe paddle? I don't know---but it "kayaked" very well!

I'd like to try it on a river...maybe next spring.

Sturgeon;1219 Can't really say more said:
Oh dear.. don't give up on the single blade. It gives you so much better control. PS. I have been kayaking for some 24 years and solo canoeing for 17. I have bias toward neither but the single is so much more fun.

In wind and waves yes I agree the double gives you an instant brace on either side without having to swing the paddle over the boat.

Yeah, come to think of it, I did use the canoe paddle once when approaching a tricky take-out--the kayak paddle just didn't cut it. but most of the trip was windy and wavy, so the kayak paddle was used 99% of the time.