• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Algonquin Park questons (Smoke Lake Access Point)

Reaction score
I'll be heading to Algonquin Park with Coldfeet this Sunday and should arrive at the Smoke Lake Access Point by late afternoon or early evening. Our itinerary puts us on the lake Monday am.
  • Are there any accommodations nearby or should we plan to spend Sunday night in the car or camp nearby? Does anyone have suggestions on where to stay that first night?
  • What happens if/when you become "wind or storm" bound and can't or don't make it to your next designated camping lake? Can you stay an extra day/night at a site or do you have to push yourself to make up the lost time and get back to on the scheduled itinerary?

Trip Advisor has a few motels in Dwight showing vacancies. You really dont want to sleep in your car next to rt 60. Its a trucking route. Supposedly not all campsites are reserved just for situations of illness or windboundness but I would not bet on that at all. I have seen lakes overbooked. I haven't been windbound after some 30 trips yet though. We get on the water early at seven thirty or so. Your route does not involve big water also.. Louisa is the biggest.

To answer your second question you can check with the ranger when you get your permit if the sites on the lakes on your itinerary are full then you'll get a better idea for how important it is to keep to your itinerary. Last year I stayed on a lake I didn't schedule and it was no problem there were still plenty of empty sites on the lake, so I didn't feel too bad about it. I choose safety over itinerary.

Same here, ask about the number of campers in your area. We were wide open, even on Lousia.

Thanks everyone for your input, Bioguide, I will keep in touch with you. Giving Algonquin Outfitters a call. Somehow I can't get on this site on my phone, only laptop.

Thanks everyone for your input, Bioguide, I will keep in touch with you. Giving Algonquin Outfitters a call. Somehow I can't get on this site on my phone, only laptop.
Did you clear your history on your phone? After the recent big cleanup where there was a glitch in the homepage ( now fixed) I cleared my PC history. But for a week I forgot my phone has a history too and this site works very well on it. After I went to Settings and cleaned up the cache that is

So I'm down to the wire packing for my seven day trip and my pack weighs just over 50 lbs and I'll have another 25 (a 20 lb Spitfire and ~5lbs worth of boat gear) on top of that. I'm curious does this sound reasonable? I'm planning to single portage.

Hey I should be in the park at Pen Lake on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. Does your itinerary put you through Pen?

Ah, too bad. I'm entertaining some coworkers on their first interior camping trip, otherwise I'd book it over there and meet you. Louisa is a pretty lake. And your forecast looks great this week. Monday is a bit fresh for this time of year 16C (60F) then back up to nice mid-20's (70's F) temps on Tues and Wed, a little rain on Thursday. Have a great trip.

Back