• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Algonquin-Burnt Island Lk weekender

Reaction score
Click on the Burnt Island link below. A nice weekend getting reacquainted with the park and my paddling muscles...

Last edited:
Your trip was nice and sunny. What a glorious Saturday morning! Really nice photos Sturgeon. It's nice to feel the world slow down, sitting in canoe or camp.

I don't remember that sign! It's probably been there forever. Just goes to show you that each trip is different and sometimes you see different things. Burnt Island Lake is beautiful but my last memory is of trying to negotiate it with 28 people carrying 14 canoes coming the other way on the portage. Yes..all at the same time.

Really nice report, the map adds so much to understanding your trip, I need to make an effort to do that. I liked the campsite pictures, got to see how those hammocks work, looks good, although I'm probably to set in my ways to change now.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. Brad, I enjoyed reading your report, [Everybody read his trip report! It's well written, funny, and rings so true] and in did in fact go around the south side of that island to check out the hidden site. I can see that it is a good spot to slow down in...@yellowcanoe, it's true, the portage into Burnt Island can be crazy ( I ran into a high school outers club) but luckily the lake is so big ( the parks staff said 43 sites) that it can handle the crowds and still make you feel like you are somewhat alone. I like it more each time I visit. @robin, that's a bridge hammock, so a bit different from your average gathered end. More like sleeping on a suspended cot. Worth a try some day...@sweeper, maybe I'll run into you...

Back