• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Alaska Paddlers ?

Reaction score
A good friend is planning a post Labor day trip to Alaska. 10 days. Air fares are pretty reasonable !

I'd love to spend a few days with paddlers, and or canoe builders up there !

Connections anybody ?

Jim

Close, but not close enough...Depending of where you are going!! I'm in the Yukon... If you would have been driving, you would have had to pas by!!

We are planning to fly into Anchorage, rent a vehicle and at least drive down to Homer.
Right now, we are trying to fill our days, with things to do.

I'd LOVE to meet up with some builders up there !!!

Thanks Canotrouge !

Jim

Sounds like a great trip. Any idea what you'll be doing?

Alan

Hi Jim, I hope to meet you when you are up here if it works out. I can also try to get you in touch with probably the most prolific boat builder up here. I had done a trip with him years ago, his name is John Lucking of Eagle River Canoes. You can mention that myself and my wife Gail floated the Delta River with him and his friends Chris and Sharon about twenty years ago. I would be happy to help you out any way I can.

Alan

Just the drive out of Anchorage past the last real town road...eye opening, then the next 50 miles or so - BREATHTAKING!!! (Turnagain Arm, a glacial fjiord)

Trip to Homer is definitely worthwhile...stunning views all around, great fishing, wildlife, sea kayaking in the bay, water taxis to Seldovia, Halibut Cove, friendly locals...do it! (and buy a good camera if you don't already have one)

Hi Jim, I hope to meet you when you are up here if it works out. I can also try to get you in touch with probably the most prolific boat builder up here. I had done a trip with him years ago, his name is John Lucking of Eagle River Canoes. You can mention that myself and my wife Gail floated the Delta River with him and his friends Chris and Sharon about twenty years ago. I would be happy to help you out any way I can.

Alan
Great ! This will be an adventure I'm really looking forward to. Hoping Alan Gage can come along !!!
Thanks Alan !!!

Just the drive out of Anchorage past the last real town road...eye opening, then the next 50 miles or so - BREATHTAKING!!! (Turnagain Arm, a glacial fjiord)

Trip to Homer is definitely worthwhile...stunning views all around, great fishing, wildlife, sea kayaking in the bay, water taxis to Seldovia, Halibut Cove, friendly locals...do it! (and buy a good camera if you don't already have one)
I've got a good camera, just need to get it back from my son !

This is sounding better all the time ! Thanks !

Jim

This is a look at that drive this week...no endless crawling line of campers, RV, guys towing fishing boats...

(This is the highway out of Anchorage on the way to Homer or Seward or other points on the Kenai Peninsula. ) Bird Point rest area. Bird point 1.4.17.jpg

One of the guys in our group is a pilot, and is hoping to renew his float plane license while up there.

The planning stage is getting exciting !

Need to find out what we can and can't take. I know things are different now compared to pre 911, when we first went up there !

Jim

Got a few days for an Adirondack-like paddle trip? Either the Swan Lake or Swanson River Canoe Trails can be good for anything from an overnighter to a week's plus trip. Designated Wilderness areas, no fees or permits required, one outfitter in Sterling if you don't have your own boat(s), native rainbow trout for fresh fish dinner every night... Then on to Homer and kayak all or parts of the Kachemak Bay Water Trail, book a charter and land a halibut or two (daily limit), hike a trail across the Bay in Kachemak Bay State Park - no end of things to do here on the Kenai Peninsula. I live in Homer and would be happy to connect.
Brad

Got a few days for an Adirondack-like paddle trip? Either the Swan Lake or Swanson River Canoe Trails can be good for anything from an overnighter to a week's plus trip. Designated Wilderness areas, no fees or permits required, one outfitter in Sterling if you don't have your own boat(s), native rainbow trout for fresh fish dinner every night... Then on to Homer and kayak all or parts of the Kachemak Bay Water Trail, book a charter and land a halibut or two (daily limit), hike a trail across the Bay in Kachemak Bay State Park - no end of things to do here on the Kenai Peninsula. I live in Homer and would be happy to connect.
Brad
LOL and the only time I have paddled with you I think is in the Ozarks at one of the Rendezvousesessese.
https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/refuge_swanlake_canoe_route.pdf

well we will have to fix that.

Back