• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

ADK Fly Fishing

Hey Mike - Nice to hear from you. After a 3 week break, I'm back at it. I spent the last 2 nights sanding away with the 40 grit sand paper. That was the trick, it is helping get a lot of the glue off. I still have a ways to go. I think this weekend, I'm going to mix up a batch of resin and cedar dust and fill in some of the small spaces near the stems, and a few in the hull, and the screw holes. Then, I'll move up to 60 grit, 80 grit... etc. I'm back!!!! (My kayak only weighs 55 lbs, of course, after I have it loaded with all my gear - that's a different story)

Hey Patchy...you might want to think twice about mixing resin with sawdust to use as filler. You will run into another bad sanding situation. There are lots of commercial wood fillers out there that are pretty cheap. I'm using Lepages right now, comes in a squeeze tube and also in a wide variety of colours, not sure if you can get it in the States. Dries quickly and sands off very easily. I don't crack fill until I have only one sanding left, and I usually use 120 or 150 to take of the filler and make everything "purty"

I really appreciate the tips, but I was too nervous to veer from my book, that and I couldn't find what I thought would work as a decent filler. I moved forward with epoxy \ resin, mixed with cedar dust, cotton fibers, and silica. I filled in the gaps at the stems, and some spaces in the cedar, last night. I was very nervous to look at it this morning, but I am very happy with the result. I guess we'll see how happy I am, after tonight - when I go to do more sanding. I will be applying a filler coat, before I fiberglass, so I didn't think it would matter if some of the dried material was left on the cedar. I'll be putting it right back on anyways. I don't know - so far so good, I think. ; )

Back