• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Adirondack Trip

Reaction score
I am looking to make a 6-10 day trip in the ADK this fall, has anyone made a trip around that length in the area? I'm hoping to get some fishing in at the same time.

Troy - What are you hoping to accomplish? You mention a timeframe and that you're interested in fishing but are you willing to add carries? If so, how long a carry are you willing to take on? Are you OK with an "in & out" type trip; i.e. beginning and ending at the same location that's not a loop? For that amount of time you could consider traveling the historic route that goes from Old Forge up to Saranac Lake and then return to Old Forge; or some variation of that idea. Years ago some friends of mine did a trip similar to this where they began at Raquette Lake, went up to Saranac and then returned to Raquette. They truly enjoyed themselves but I don't know if this works for you.

Also, in regard to fishing, how important is that to you on this trip? Some folks would travel what would amount to a traditional 3 - 4 day trip but stay in one location to fish for a couple of days before moving on. Would that be something you're interested in?

I think the more you can pin down what it is you want to do and then share that with this forum, the more help you'll receive. Just my thoughts.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Magnus - Maybe you know this and posted that as a joke (which it kind of is in a way)...but the river in question is located in the Southern Tier of NYS and is about 3 hours from the southern Adirondacks. That being said, when I saw the report on the news I wondered what someone's reaction would be...

"Hey, there's an alligator!" says the person in the bow. "Yea right!" says their partner. Kind of comical but not really.

Also, we have had some major rains this week so it's possible that the gator is now in the reservoir below where it was last seen. If it is, my guess is it can stay hidden until the weather turns cold. There's a lot for a gator to eat in that area. I just hope some family with kids doesn't "discover" it the hard way; if you know what I mean.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Lol, most people outside of N.Y. don't understand the "upstate" part. Heck, most people here call everything 10 minutes north of NYC "upstate" lol

On the trip suggestion, if a long carry isn't a problem there are a couple routes with good fishing if you have a shuttle driver or a second vehicle to leave at the take out. Lows Lake to oswegotchie is one of them. Take your time and fish on Lows Lake for a few day then head over the the river

Jason

I spend 5-7 days on Lows every fall during deer season. It's big enough to keep one's interest, although the wind can be a factor. Fishing used to be very good, and I think it is still worth wetting a line around the big bog.
You might see a motor boat or two during August but after Labor Day I think that is rare.
If you don't mind long portages there are quite a few interesting routes in the area.

The Whitney Loop, or adding the Oswegatchie Traverse would kill a few days. You can also start at Old Forge and see how far you can get in 10 days... North Forest Canoe Trail, any of the side passages...

I'd personally be sorely tempted to hole up on Low's, or the Upper St Regis (north of Floodwood Road) for that long.

I ran into a youth group on the osswagochie who were on their last day of a 11 day trip from the crusher one raquette river the inlet on the osswagochie. Sounded like a great route with variety. I have done most of it in pieces.

My gang once ran into a group that was traveling from Bog River Flow to Inlet. That group's other half was starting in Inlet, with the intention to swap car keys when they met.
Always seemed to me to be a great solution to the dreaded car shuttle.

good plan except that doing the oz upstream is lots less fun, especially the multi beaver dams above the falls. Packbasket Lodge in wanikina will do the shuttle and not deliver your car to inlet until the day you want it there-good folks.

I did Little Tupper Inlet/Wanakena a few years ago. As I recall it was 68 miles and about 8 miles of portages in 5 days, but that was pushing it. 10 days would leave plenty of time for hiking, and lots of good fishing along the way. And Packbasket is a great place to set up your shuttle, a few years ago it was $100 with my vehicle and he kept my vehicle and my other boat, ( I paddles the Hudson River Gorge after the trip ) at their place until the day I arrived. The trip I did was the first half of the Whitney loop and the Oswagatchie traverse combined. Fishing will be both good brook trout water and bass water so bring to outfits for the variety of fishing you will encounter.
​John M.

Back