• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Adirondack Paddles

Reaction score
I'm planning a visit to NY, and wondered if someone here can give me some destination day or overnight paddles in the Adirondacks and/or the Catskills. Thanks for the help.

Potential destinations and adventure are extremely varied.
What you may do Depends a lot on your goals, skill set, ability/adversity to portage, and desired type of paddling trip, Easy flatwater, moving water (gentle or white), type of campsites (commercial or primitive). More information on your expectations will help to better define a trip for you.

Get the Adirondack paddler's map and guidebook from Dave Cilley

Or Phil Brown's book
https://www.adk.org/product/adirondack-paddling-2nd-edition/

I lived in Woodstock, NY, which is in the Catskills, for eight years. The Catskills have a few whitewater rivers, great fly fishing, hunting, skiing, but no natural lakes of any size. There are some big reservoirs, which serve as drinking water for NYC, but canoeing on them is very restricted if not still prohibited.

Adirondack Park and adjoining areas are where the great paddling action is. As yknpdlr has indicated, Dave Cilley's guidebook and maps are now the paddler's bible for the area. I remember him as a young guy just starting out 35 years ago.

Mr Fly,
How long of a visit? I assume you're driving and bringing all of your own stuff, otherwise, options will be limited.
As Paul questioned above, several factors will affect any recommendations.

Solo or with your own group?
One vehicle or more than one?
Wilderness base camping?
Wilderness through tripping?
Public/private camping?
Some combination of public/private and wilderness?
Can you carry? Will you carry? Max carry distance?
Preferred water type,---pond hopping, lake travel, river trips, canoe bushwhacking...

I have been paddling and camping in the Adirondacks for a long time (no need to use harsh numbers), but I only ski in the Catskills (and only at Plattekill and some non disclosed back country spots), so I can't speak to Catskill paddling.

With that said, and without your responses, there are a few spots that a newcomer should consider not to miss.
Lake Lila and its environs. Minimal carry, lots to see and do.
Lows Lake, including Grass Pond and a scramble up Grass Pond Mountain. Minimal carry, more paddling than Lila.
Long Pond including Turtle and Slang Ponds (skip Hoel) Minimal carrying, fairly intimate and protected waters.
St Regis Canoe Wilderness Area and all of the included ponds. Carrying based on your ambitions and abilities.
Others here will have their can't miss lists too.

Based on your screen name, I assume you know the various bug seasons. Early season (soon after ice out sometime around late April early May) will miss the black flies, but some seasonal use roads will still be closed to the public.

I live just to the west of the Catskills and have to concur with Glenn...there are few opportunities for day trips in the Catskills. That said, some of the NYC reservoirs are open for paddling and depending on the water levels (which are currently still higher than normal), you could paddle stretches of the West & East Branches of the Delaware River or the main stem below Hancock, NY where the river is the border between NY and PA.

That's all for now. Good luck in finding your adventure and until next time...be well.

snapper

Thanks, I’m really interested in lake paddling, with private camping on shore. Not sure if I will have company other than my dog. I should be able to portage next year after healing from 2 procedures this fall. If there are outfitters who shuttle, I’ll do some rivers.

Because there is limited river paddling there are few outfitters who do shuttles in the Adirondacks. I know you come from river country so this may be quite different.. When are you planning your trip? St Regis does some shuttles and they are useful on the NFCT Saranac RIver part.. However there are portages on that river too. You should really look at a map; ADK has plenty of free permit less ( for short stays) primitive camping but some lakes like Middle and Upper Saranac Lakes( but not limited to) are formal DEC campgrounds although only boat accessible and primitive.

Raquette River Outfitters does shuttles to and pick-ups from various places.

Back