• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Adhesivology

G

The recent addition of E6000 to the shop adhesives collection got me sorting through the shop glues and adhesives box. Commonly used adhesives in the shop, in some descending order of preference and use frequency, based solely on my personal preferences and application tendencies:

DAP Weldbond (red can) contact cement. I bet I have used gallons of that stuff. Even with an exhaust fan running I think the fumes are beginning to tell.

Epoxies resin and specific hardeners. All West Systems so far, just because that is what I have always had on hand. Also gallons, even in the hardener quantity.

G/flex, which is my go-to stick to anything tiny batch epoxy. In larger batch applications mixed with the above. I went through at least three sets of 4oz A & B bottles before I sprung for the 16 oz version. (Er, actually, Joel bought it and left it for me). Better not to skimp on the G/flex in a mix.

G5, which is 5 minute G/flex. Not recommended for high loads or moisture, but great for a tiny batch quicker fix on household stuff, or tacking something held down (or, even handier, clamped sideways) in place for later epoxy resin coating. Thanks Doug, I only use G5 in very specific applications, and I am down to a couple ounces in the package you gave me. More G5 added to my next Jamestown order.

JB Weld and PC-7 epoxy pastes. JB weld has the consistency of toothpaste; PC-7 is as thick as dense peanut butter. Pick your appropriate epoxy putty spreadability application.

Plumbers Goop adhesive sealant. Used as an edge sealant on contacted cemented minicel-to-hull applications, and as shoe goo on detaching soles. Potentially replaced by E6000.

3M Super 77 and 3M 80 Rubber and Vinyl spray adhesives. Sometimes a spray adhesive is what you need, especially when you only need a light tack over a large area.

Some adhesives have largely fallen out of shop favor because of expense or storability:

Aqua-Seal. Great stuff for some pliable applications like Mukluk seams, especially with the Cotol mix. Not kept stored in the shop, once the tube has been opened Aqua-Seal needs to be kept in the freezer and thawed before next use. And the Cotol bottle invariably dries up no matter how it is stored. Also pricey for the quantity. Still looking for a viable alternative, maybe E6000

Gorilla Glue. For most of my applications there is a better choice. Cheap enough, and available everywhere, but it does not store well in humid environments over months.

Super Glue/Crazy Glues. I never saw what was so super about them. Superglues seem persnickety in what they stick to, including most plastics, and once the tube is opened Superglue is a goner. Handy for gluing busted finger nails back together though.

I tried some of the advertised Crazy Glue applications. My results varied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXZv2KZKCCo

Part of the problem with trying new adhesives is the unknown. If I have something proven to work, even with some complications (surface prep, application, clamping need, set up time, etc) it is hard to venture into unknown adhesives with reassurances.

Looking through the glues and adhesives box I found a new-in-blister-pack 3 oz tube of 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant. Something a shop visitor brought up, recommended for transoms and portholes, of which I have none. The tube of 5200 is still virgin unopened, even experimentally, because the packaging reads Cures in 7 days. Methinks not.

What products or applications did I overlook, or misstate, in the adhesivology realm?

Two you might find use for.

West Six10 Thickened Epoxy. Dispenses from a caulk gun using a special mixer tip (the mixer tips are one use only so buy extras; but the tube is resealable and lasts indefinitely).

3M 78 Spray Adhesive. This is for bonding polystyrene foam to itself or wood or other substrates. Amazing stuff.

Back