• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

A solo paddler's minimalist first aid kit

Reaction score
Ready to go after a 2 year forced lay off and looking at ways to lighten the load. Maybe I can leave the emergency room of General Hospital at home and go smaller and just as efficient. What's in your minimalist first aid kit?
Thanks.
Gerald

I've never hurt myself worse than I can fix with some alcohol, a tube of super glue, and some tape. If it's worse than that anything in most kits won't help me either.

zinc oxide & bag balm...

(plus alcohol, superglue, and some tape...)

ibuprofen and antihistamine

I prepare for small injuries only. So some gauze, band-aids, mole-skin, liquid skin, medical tape and not much more. If I get a serious injury I'm fubared anyways so no need preparing for it. I did consider carrying a suture kit, not allot of weight in that.

My kit is similar to Canotrouge's, plus a couple of Epi-pens and three different sizes of Sam Splints (9", 18" and 36"). The three things I fear most are (in ascending order): a sprained right ankle, a broken leg, and appendicitis. I can splint a bad sprain, and someone else can splint a broken bone, but not without splints. The only thing I'm missing is a DIY appendix remover.

"The only thing I'm missing is a DIY appendix remover."
​I thought of getting it removed... When I got my spleen removed a few years back, I should have ask them to take the appendix out wile they were in there!!

I do carry a samsplint, and quite a bit of tape!!

I carry the usual stuff, but try to save a few percocets from whichever injury or procedure I had last. I figure that even with a fairly bad injury, the percs will take the edge off enough to let me think straight.

HA! This is right up my alley. The most important thing that is in my first aid kit is training. Training in how to use the items I may take and how to make do with what I end up with. No disinfectant? I have used afterbite...nasty but effective. Polysporin is my best friend.

I have a pretty good first aid kit now that includes some drugs for pain management and a good selection of bandages...they are not heavy but can really save the day. Stop the bleeding is the first aid mantra. If you are bleeding or not breathing those are the absolute first things you need to deal with. I stock my first aid kits with that in mind.

Splints? Really? You are in the woods for gods sake. I have a lovely air splint that was on my ankle this winter and it is super comfy but if I need one out there then the first handy chunk of lumber I find is what is going to be used.

I think a back injury, or knee/ankle is my biggest worry, other than cuts. I am on thinners for my heart and I bleed like crazy, so that is my prime concern, but putting my back out would render me immobile.

Seriously though...training and practice. I recertify every two years and I pick up new ideas all the time. You cannot prepare for every possibility but if you have the confidence to use what you have then you will be able to handle most things.

Last but not least...I keep a backup supply of coffee cuz well, that prevents me from shooting anyone when I wake up.

Christy

Duct tape, gauze, ibuprofen, antibiotic cream, nu skin.. That's about all that gets used. Look at any ambulance.. They are stocked for everything. I swear that we had trauma pads that were a dozen years old..

You see after thirty years as a paramedic, there really is very little stuff we used. O2 masks and emesis basins the exception.

Why carry a splint? Its in the woods! So is anticoagualant..Balsam pitch! Excellent bandaid.

I also carry hand sanitizer but not for first aid. Its for after bathroom use. Use it and spare the immodium.

Appendix? Thats reason for a PLB.

First not every one have balsam fir where they travel. Second, a Samsplints weight nothing, and is much more comfortable and adaptable than a chunk of "lumber"(where I trip, there is no lumber liking around in the bush;)).... I know I can use my thermarest or a foamy, but then I need to sleep on the ground, and that is not an option. Also, in the case you need a head/neck immobilization, Sam is a great thing to have!! You would have to pry my Samsplint out of my cold dead hands:rolleyes:...

I've always carried one of those commercial kits put together for campers or even paddlers. I've not opened them very often other than for band-aids and antibiotic. I take my prescription meds, of course.

Someone mentioned taking an EpiPen, which can be life saving for anaphylactic shock from bees, fire ants and other bugs. I used to carry two, which cost me a co-pay of $20 or so in 2004, but I tossed them when they became 10 years old, and got a new prescription from my doctor for a trip last fall. The cost for a two-pack under my Medicare Part D drug plan was about $250, which means they aren't really covered at all. I passed. HERE'S an article on the skyrocketing cost of epinephrine.

Canoeists who wish to reproduce the authentic and "minimalistic" wilderness experience -- in addition to abandoning wimpy electronics and petroleum based materials -- perhaps need nothing more in a medical kit than Ötzi the Iceman did. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I've always carried one of those commercial kits put together for campers or even paddlers.

Someone mentioned taking an EpiPen, which can be life saving for anaphylactic shock from bees, fire ants and other bugs. I used to carry two, which cost me a co-pay of $20 or so in 2004, but I tossed them when they became 10 years old, and got a new prescription from my doctor for a trip last fall. The cost for a two-pack under my Medicare Part D drug plan was about $250, which means they aren't really covered at all. I passed. HERE'S an article on the skyrocketing cost of epinephrine.

Canoeists who wish to reproduce the authentic and "minimalistic" wilderness experience -- in addition to abandoning wimpy electronics and petroleum based materials -- perhaps need nothing more in a medical kit than Ötzi the Iceman did. Just a thought.

I go the anti-minimalist route as often as not and sometimes bring two different 1[SUP]st[/SUP] aid kits.

I have a small, personal go-to one in my essentials bag containing two small mesh (so I can see what’s in there where) zippered pouches. One with Band-aids, sundry dressings and anti-biotic ointment. And an empty sandwich bag for the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] aid trash, so I can see what I need to replenish after a trip. That’s the minor boo-boo pouch side of my personal kit and contains I use most often.

The other mesh zippered pouch in that same container holds mostly tools, dressings and drugs. Benadryl, Epi-pen*, moleskin, toll of skin tape, finger splint, whistle, micro-hemostats, teensy Swiss Army with scissors, and a lady’s make up compact with mirrors on both sides. Ooou baby, cosmetics isle of Wal-Mart; hot pink with white polka dots, I’m not losing that mirrror in the leaf litter.

Seriously, it’s hard to see facial wounds without a mirror, and having two allows you to see around, atop and behind. For a solo 1[SUP]st[/SUP] aid kit I think a mirror is an essential item, and a two mirror compact even better. Cut a nose, cheek or forehead solo and you’ll know why. Facial wounds bleed like a mofo, and crap, I can’t even see where to clean and what to bandage.

It may be a vestige from years of group trips with novices, but I still bring a full-sized 1[SUP]st[/SUP] aid kit on many trips. heck, I bring it in the truck every time, and if I’m heading off somewhere lake or river remote without a carry, why not. If I’m with a companion or two I definitely want it along.

That full-sized kit is contained in a roll-out three compartment nylon Mil-surplus medic’s bag, stored inside a bright yellow (and marked in bold letters “1st AID”) 10L drybag. The three compartments in the roll out are boldly Sharpie labeled “DRUGS & OINTMENTS”, “WRAP, TAPE & TOOLS”, and “DRESSINGS AND BANDAGES”. There is a sleeve in the bag labeled CONTENTS LIST, with a laminated list of what is in each compartment, so when I need something I know exactly where to look instead of root though three pouches.

I’ve added and subtracted from that kit over the years, and revised the index list, but there are still some odd items I wouldn’t do without.

Dressings and Band-aids: Roll gauze, gauze pads (assorted), Band Aids (assorted), Moleskin, Newskin, tampons, alcohol pads, another empty zip lock trash bag.
Wrap, Tape & Tools: Ace wrap, skin tape (1” and 2”), soap, disposable gloves (replaced occasionally as they degrade), bulb syringe (used more than you would think), finger splint, cotton swabs, tongue depressors, safety pins, EMT scissors, lighter, whistle, Surveyor’s tape, small strobe light.
Drugs and ointments: Epi-pen*, Benadryl, After-bite, Anbesol, anti-diarrheal, Ex-Lax, cortisone cream, Neosporin, Lotrimin, sun block, nasal spray (the latter two used most often).

Since a friend’s evac incident there’s been a god-forbid Quick-clot trauma pack loose at the bottom of the dry bag. That was a gift to my bag from him; one of his companions had a trauma pack along and it saved his arse, or at least his leg.

And small bottles of aspirin and ibuprofen loose on top, so they are uber accessible. The whole thing, roll out kit and contents in dry bag with a stainless carabineer attached weighs just over 3 lbs. I have needed more than a few things in that “group” kit, and I’m down to nothing I want to reduce.

*Epi-pens – I have two paddling companions who are allergic to bee stings. They replace their Epi-pens some on schedule (I’m not sure how much is covered, but they want “unexpired” ones) and I carry their old ones until their next substitution.

I didn’t know one of those companions was allergic until we had done several trips together. That’s not good. As the tripper population ages out that known medical history sharing becomes more important.

In case I ever trip with any of you, most of my complaints and symptoms can be treated with a dose or two of cold IPA.

I've not opened them very often other than for band-aids and antibiotic. I take my prescription meds, of course.

Glenn, I don’t know what is commonly contained in the commercial kits, but if they include over the counter meds you may want to look at the expiration dates. I hadn’t needed Benadryl for anyone in a long time, and when I looked the little blister packs in my kits a few months ago they were long expired.

Keeping a first aid kit current and replenished is the toughest part. The sandwich “litter” bag of what I used helps, but the OTC stuff needs an occasional expiration inspection.

Lets not get casual about the drugs in a first aid kit. Epinephrine is a rx, med. Unless you have a prescription, you may not carry it. Also expired, or frozen epi is a problem.

I've given this some thought in the past... I have Boy Scout First Aid training, and a few hours of Army First Aid/CPR training, but that's all. If I don't know how to use it, or if I can improvise it, I don't carry it.

I looked first at the most likely types of injuries I'd be mostly likely to sustain... splinters, small cuts with a pocket knife, item in eye, burn on hand from spilling hot water, and sprained ankles. There are also some things you can classify under "illnesses": insect bites, upset stomach/reflux, diarrhea, and a headache. Finally, I have some fillings and a crown... ever lose a filling? hurts. You can pack it full of resin but... better be able to fix it. I also have a deteriorating lower back.

Yes, other things can happen... I could fall off a cliff and break my arms, legs and ribs... I could get the flu. I could catch poison ivy. I could cut off my thumb with an ax. I could get shot and have a sucking chest wound. I could get a compound fracture of the upper leg, sever my femoral artery and bleed to death. But with a little caution, these are extremely improbable... The worst of them are probably not self-treatable anyway.

I carry a bandanna in my pack. This can serve as a cover for a burn, sling, compress a pressure dressing, or support a sprain. I also carry several feet of duct tape in my repair kit, which can help hold a dressing. On 3+ day trips, I carry a tube of ItchAway/AfterBite/ammonia. I have once carried a small container of Caldryl lotion on a 5 day trip, but it was probably overkill. My actual FAK contains a few simple items: bandaids with neosporin already in them, a few small envelopes of neosporin (for a burn) and a couple 3x3 gauze pads, 3x Q-tips, a pair of really small and pointy tweezers, a dental first aid kit (just some sort of putty in a tube about the size of the cap that goes on my chapstick or blistex), a few Pepto Bismol tablets (4-6?) and a few Advil... on trips over 3 days, I will carry a prescription muscle relaxer for my back, in case it goes out on me. That's pretty much it.

I keep it in one of those small cheap plastic Johnson and Johnson FAK boxes you can buy for $1 at Walmart... I put a cross on it with blaze orange duct tape, and have another piece that holds it shut. Should I desire to waterproof it (vs keeping it in my waterproof junk-bag), I can run a piece of tape around the outside.

I don't carry a tourniquet, quick-clot, splint, cervical collar, sutures, prescription pain killers, special scissors (aside from those on my Swiss Army Knife), or hemostats/clips... I am not an EMT, and don't know how to use them...

I carry Benadryl too. Helps with the allergies and I get a great night's sleep even if my mattress deflates. That stuff puts me right out.

For my kit, I just tried to figure out what could go wrong that I could treat myself, as a soloist. There's more, but this is the base...

Burns: I bring some "second skin" cool gel pads, and the polysporin with lidocaine in it for superficial burns.
Cuts: Steristrips and various bandages for cuts. An eye patch and antibiotic eye drops if I get poked in the eye by a branch.
Really bad deep cuts: A Quikclot pad and the SOS on my InReach device.
Pain: ibuprofen plus some stronger stuff for if the s hits the f
Allergic reaction: Benadryl
Dehydration: Oral Rehydration Salts
Ticks: tweezers
Stings: the lidocaine in the polysporin should be enough
Blisters: moleskins, duct tape, second skin pads

Besides minor cuts, I have only ever needed the burn stuff, and was really glad I had it.

One more thing...make sure everything is accessible and easy to open with one hand. I burned one hand, and had to get out the kit and treat the burned hand with the other. Twerent easy!
I pretty much agree with Seeker on most points he mentioned. (The only difference is, yes I'm not an EMT, but I bring a serious painkiller and quick-clot. I might do more harm than good, but I'm a wuss about pain, and about bleeding out.)

Last edited:
Back