• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

A long trip

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for a 3-7 day trip through the mid-atlantic region. There will be 2 of us and both have whitewater experience (class 3 or less is preferable) Im taking my 21 year old daughter and want to spend a week paddling and camping in seclusion.

Bumping this tread to see if others have any ideas. Best I can think of might be the Allegheny river from Warren, PA to Freeport. Not really "seclusion" and would probably only take 3 or 4 days.

West branch of the Susquehanna gets pretty secluded around Karthaus, PA but that's a night or two... Hope someone else can come up with something for you.

I did a 3 day weekend trip in VA west of DC. It was about 12-14 years ago and my brother set it up, so I don’t remember the name of the river. Also, you may want to check out western Maryland or even eastern West Virginia. The Susquehanna in Pennsylvania may be a good option.

I know none of them are exactly in the Mid Atlantic, but they should be within a days drive. If that works for you, I would check out those areas.

Consider the South Fork of the New River in NC. There are canoe camping sites but no class 2s.

The C&O canal towpath runs along the Maryland side of the Potomac River from Cumberland, Md to DC, 186 miles. The canal is National Park, which means there's not much development along the Maryland side. Hiker-biker sites are located every ten miles, so there is always a camping option. And there are many campable islands and gravel bars. There's always enough water, but there can be too much. Mostly it's a river with moderate current and riffles here and there. If you start in Cumberland, there are no portages for a long way. There are some dams along the way, leftover from the canal. Carries are short and not too bad. I think the rapids don't start until around Harpers Ferry. Then you have the Needles (II), Whitehorse (a straight shot but big standing waves earn it a II-III), Weverton Ledges (II) and that's it until you get close to DC. The Washington Canal is a Class II workaround for the dam ruins at Seneca Breaks and then you hit Great Falls (V). It is possible to carry to a rewatered portion of the canal and continue, but sort of a pain because you have to carry around several locks. You can go back to the river after Great Falls, but it isn't far to more Class II sections and then Little Falls, which, if the water is low, is a III, and if the water is high is unrunnable by canoeing mortals. Below DC there's a lot more river, but it is tidal, highly developed, and mile wide. But no portages!

Paddlers near Little Orleans.jpeg

Photo - Paddlers approaching Little Orleans, Md.

Bumping this tread to see if others have any ideas. Best I can think of might be the Allegheny river from Warren, PA to Freeport. Not really "seclusion" and would probably only take 3 or 4 days.

West branch of the Susquehanna gets pretty secluded around Karthaus, PA but that's a night or two... Hope someone else can come up with something for you.
I have paddled The Allegheny most of my life. From the Kinzua Dam access to Emlenton (Interstate 80) is 107 river miles. Never went past Parker's landing (6 miles +/- ?). The map I have ends a Emlenton but I would guess Freeport to be another 20 miles or so. Note I wrote guess :confused:⁉️

The West Branch from Karthaus to Keating (mouth of the Sinnemahoning) depends on water levels. The first time I was there we started Friday after lunch, did very little paddling, and were off the water Sunday less than 30 minutes of leaving camp. It was a restful trip and we had lots of time to check out campsites and just goof off .

Back