• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

5 or 7-Gallon Bucket Mess Kit

Been using buckets for a long time. Lately I have been attaching a handle about a third of the down the side. So much easier to carry this way. The bigger buckets with standard wire handles will be banging on rocks and such.

Been using buckets for a long time. Lately I have been attaching a handle about a third of the down the side. So much easier to carry this way. The bigger buckets with standard wire handles will be banging on rocks and such.
Good idea, Marten. How did you attach the handles? And why not closer to half way down the side?

I've had a 6 gal bucket with gamma seal lid for a few years now, and while I like it, it's too big for most of the trips I do (i.e., short and solo).

I recently bought a 3.5 gal bucket + gamma lid to try out (venturing all of $20), and I really like the size. I think it would carry about a week's food, but on a shorter trip it can carry other stuff that I don't want crushed. The fact that it doubles as a stool is a significant bonus, and I always have a ridgerest handy so it's a cushy stool. It's just the right height to fit under the yoke in a tandem. It weighs about 2.3 lbs.

My first gamma seal lid was black, which is kinda dumb given the sun and all. #2 is white, on a slightly translucent gray bucket.

IMG_20220517_194701.jpg

I have a 7-gallon bucket with Gamma Lid and GSI Bugaboo kit. I robbed the large pot, lid, handle, two plates (me and partner) and frying pan, leaving the rest at home. It nestles down inside nicely with a flexible cutting board on the side. In addition to the food, I have the cooking tools/spices along with leather gloves, the 30L round cooler and organizing bags from Recreational Barrel Works. I haven't used this setup yet. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar setup that might be able to share some pictures. I am looking for a US source for the Tatonka 4L Kettle kit, hoping it will fit inside. It will be close, otherwise I would have to settle for the 2.5L. I have been looking for a round titanium grill to nestle as well. TYIA!
This was a convenient post. I replied to a different post, about packing for a canoe trip, asking how people secured their gama lid buckets in their boats. I use one for my camera and I was planning on using another, or an olive barrel, for my kitchen gear. I don't make elaborate meals on canoe trips. In fact, I usually plan on meals that only require me to boil water. So, fitting my kitchen kit in a bucket isn't very hard.
I just ordered a dry duffel that has dimensions that should fit two buckets nicely. Keeping my options open, I also ordered a dry bag that will fit one 8 gallon olive jar nicely.

Back