• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

2015 Sept Road Trip West including Glaciers

Reaction score
Had a road trip planned for the West Coast for this Sept. Decided to bring the Keewaydin 15 pack boat with and try for a few smaller trips on the way. After a long Day of driving to Moraine Lake Alberta from Winnipeg Manitoba I woke up to a “nice” surprise! 2 inches of wet snow! It had been crazy warm prior to my leave so this was a bit of a shock but still made for a few fun pictures.

IMG_4348_zps9gzvmsoo.jpg

The starting point at Moraine Lake and a few select pictures from the hundreds I took that day at the different lakes…

IMG_4357_zps0iq8cabs.jpg

Crazy color to the water, was very breathtaking!
IMG_4409_zpsak5hcurc.jpg

At the far end of the lake looking back
IMG_4413_zpskgvmxuav.jpg

And back again at the start
IMG_4510_zpsynqektl5.jpg

Then a jump back in the truck and on to Lake Louis to try for a few more pics, the overcast sky did make this difficult but tried for a few good pics. Was so tired from the drive the day before it took half the paddle to realize I was still wearing a small 30lt waterproof backpack while in the canoe!

At the far end of the lake
IMG_4581_zpsdasbs9xv.jpg

IMG_4607_zpslzaj0tas.jpg

And back at the landing as I needed to be on undeveloped land for the water access. Ended up walking through a huge crowd of tourist at this point. Was still great fun!
IMG_4657_zpswqkn8pjw.jpg

The next stop for the day was up by Jasper at the Mount Edith Cavell upper Glacier Lake. I was hoping for a picture within a waterborne ice cave but that had collapsed prior to this year. Still was a crazy hike up to the lake following the washout ravine from the 2012 avalanche and resulting overflow. The road and parking lot have been replaced/repaired and are in great shape now!

To start was a uphill hike that was approx. 1.1km long…
IMG_4859_zpshalk6hec.jpg

IMG_4722_zpslced4owa.jpg

IMG_4723_zpsydquvkmd.jpg

When I got close to the lake I could see ice on the surface and was worried that my plans were ruined. Luckily there was open water closer to the Glacier face so a little more hiking was required.

IMG_4740_zpshmlzdetb.jpg

Finally in the water. Very cold water that should not be messed with! I would not last long if I tipped in this stuff!!!! I did have my PDF and small dry bag with extra dry cloth but no getting silly here.

IMG_4741_zpss0ubw45o.jpg

IMG_4743_zpsfunkdhkw.jpg

IMG_4750_zpscd7zths4.jpg

IMG_4764_zpsv7npbp3g.jpg

IMG_4769_zpsfhoijm39.jpg

I could hear the ice moaning within the main glacier and with a few rocks falling from the top overhang it was time to get back to shore

IMG_4799_zpsvalgihun.jpg

IMG_4813_zps9i4ycukq.jpg

IMG_4816_zpslkhpvqzx.jpg

IMG_4824-1_zpsa7kpxcr6.jpg

IMG_4825_zpshwi0ymsu.jpg

Can you tell I was happy with this day?

IMG_4837_zpspeqcim3t.jpg

IMG_4852_zpsokghntkn.jpg

A drive towards Wells Grey Provincial Park ended the day and then the next day was spent exploring the many waterfalls and sites at Wells Grey before running the last Ferry onto Vancouver Island at 1045pm.

IMG_4926_zpsjlwmlzb6.jpg

IMG_5007_zps7dpbdphm.jpg

IMG_5069_zpszwywwbj6.jpg

IMG_5150_zpsspqelgea.jpg

IMG_5155_zpsarjs3lpp.jpg

On the island the West coast had a whole different style that required a bigger boat for the trip out to say hi to these guys…

IMG_5838_zps7sqihlp5.jpg

IMG_5970_zpshzpmpuvx.jpg

Was a much bigger trip but just a few water/shoreline pics

IMG_5602_zpshfmt2fn8.jpg

IMG_5603_zpsnjzogpfc.jpg

After a great visit with the Folks it was time to turn around and head East again. A short detour for some rock climbing south of Kamloops near Roche Lake ( A huge Thanks to Tess and the gang for all the greatness on Rocks) and some 4x4ing too then it was time for some heavy miles back to Winnipeg.

IMG_6166_zpsifddpxu3.jpg

IMG_6175_zpsj1smruno.jpg

Roche Lake area…
IMG_6523_zpshmt96hrj.jpg

IMG_6670_zpso6h721wi.jpg

And the drive back…
IMG_6825_zpsxks6rgp8.jpg

IMG_6871_zpsf7ylo1qi.jpg

A great trip with very little time wasted, every minute was playing or driving or visiting family and friends with very little sleep too. Worth every Moment!!!!!

Last edited:
Really noce indeed!! Good for you to get such a great trip done!!

Was that Angel Glacier? We were there in 2012 but never thought of bringing a canoe to the lake! That is still a bit of a climb.. nice use of a pack canoe and its light weight. How many people took YOUR picture? LOL.

Really noce indeed!! Good for you to get such a great trip done!!

Was great to get into these areas regardless of all the driving. I did over 5200km in 6 days of driving in my vehicle, nevermind the 4 days visiting on the island. All the canoeing, sight seeing at Well's Grey PP, and the BC rock climbing was also done in these 6 days. Was ready for a holiday after the holiday!

Breath-taking photos. Thank you for sharing a great trip.

Thanks, I wanted to get these posted as so many of the people watching were asking about copies etc.. I figured everyone here would enjoy the show!

Was that Angel Glacier? We were there in 2012 but never thought of bringing a canoe to the lake! That is still a bit of a climb.. nice use of a pack canoe and its light weight. How many people took YOUR picture? LOL.

Their will be a huge amount of tourist with pics at Lake Louis and there was a professional crew at Moraine lake that was set up prior to my arrival and stayed the whole trip down the length of the lake. Would have been hard for them to get the perfect shot as the sky was so low. Mount Edith Cavell had a lookout spot on the upper trail that had a crew watching me. I hope someone see's this and post a pic of me in the water from that view!!! That was Angel Glacier in the picture with the falls. The lake can be seen here - 52.679353, -118.047729

Wow!! Great pictures. Amazing trip! I love the alpine shots with the fog and the snow.

It was amazing with the heavy sky's and the new snowfall on the ground. Made for a great morning paddle at Moraine Lake, AB.

Talking with my son-in-law just last week, he said we should hike up above Moraine L. The scenery and the view is spectacular he said. You've just given me a better idea and perspective!
Incredible road trip with some beautiful paddling. Thanks Ice.

That would be an awesome hike! Enjoy. I know the trail to the top of the Valley of the Ten Peaks is a great one as I climbed Grande Sentinel back in the day!

Ok it's official, you have the best adventures ever. I soooo want to hop in the Toyota and go. I feel a weekender coming on.

Back