• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

2 or 3 person tent for 1?

Depends. If its cold I prefer a full nylon minimal mesh tent like my North Face Tadpole. Its rated a two person.. That would be two children. Tarp for living during blech conditions takes away the need to live in the tent.

Summer cool conditions still, Hubba Hubba. I tried Hubba in Beans on the floor.. felt like I was in a pizza box on its side.

Summer hot conditons, meshy Marmot Limelight 3 even for one.. I like the simple pole design. The Hubba Hubba is misery on your hands with manipulating its umbrella type folding poles when its cold.

There are other considerations too depending on your preferences. I got the North Face at the outlet here and paid $69 But its insert yourself from one end. Nowadays I prefer the option of side loading.

Here is a computer glitch! https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/tadpole-23 Really $999? LOL!

Mountain Hardware Optic 2.5 might well fit your need. Got one last year and like it a lot. 2 Doors, 2 Vestibules it is a 2 1/2 person tent. Spacious for one, still roomy for 2. Except for the bathtub bottom, it is pretty much all screen so not so good on really cold trips, but excellent in the summer. Unique door design provides grand view when weather is nice.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/optic-2.5-OU9660.html

A Eureka Timberline 2 served all my needs for decades until I started hiking again as I hit my 50s when it became too heavy and too bulky. I now have an MRS Hubba Hubba for when I have to do a lot of carrying. Otherwise I've never had any complaint whatsoever about the Eureka.

A Eureka Timberline 2 served all my needs for decades until I started hiking again as I hit my 50s when it became too heavy and too bulky. I now have an MRS Hubba Hubba for when I have to do a lot of carrying. Otherwise I've never had any complaint whatsoever about the Eureka.

We used Timberline 2 and 4 mans with vestibules for years, as well as the Alpine Meadows version with the center hoop wand to hold the sidewalls open.

I am a big fan of the Hubba Hubba as a solo tent. It is just big enough to accommodate my XL sleeping pad with some room along the sides for book, glasses, flashlight and etc. Enough so that I use it in the off-season, despite the abundance of mesh.

Some of that fandom may be familiarity. I have set up a Hubba Hubba hundreds of times and find it an intuitive circle around the tent procedure. Even if I am hurrying or recreationally off kilter it is hard to get the set up wrong with a symmetrical tent and symmetrical fly.

Same with the Timberline, except that I set one of those up thousands of times, and am certain that I could do so blindfolded.

Blindfolded and dead drunk. And in a hurricane.

Well, maybe not the hurricane part.

The Big Agnes Emerald Mountain 3 for my 90 lb chessie and me. Lots of mesh but I use it in colder weather all the time. Holds two exped 26" wide mats nicely for us. She won't sleep on her own mat, they have to be bundled together. The vestibule is nearly as large of the tent. It's great for changing wet clothes without worrying about making a mess. My go to tent when for 32F and higher.

With Fly and Vestibule

Nallo 3 GT is equally as spacious but I only use it for winter canoe trips, I find it too hot above 34F. It has a behemoth vestiblule as well. Both of these are 3 man tents and about 6 lbs. or slightly less if I recall.

Barry

The Big Agnes Emerald Mountain 3 for my 90 lb chessie and me. Lots of mesh but I use it in colder weather all the time. Holds two exped 26" wide mats nicely for us. She won't sleep on her own mat, they have to be bundled together. The vestibule is nearly as large of the tent. It's great for changing wet clothes without worrying about making a mess. My go to tent when for 32F and higher.

With Fly and Vestibule

Nallo 3 GT is equally as spacious but I only use it for winter canoe trips, I find it too hot above 34F. It has a behemoth vestiblule as well. Both of these are 3 man tents and about 6 lbs. or slightly less if I recall.

Barry

You just solved the age old question of tarp on the inside or outside.

You just solved the age old question of tarp on the inside or outside.

Actually, I think I only used a tarp on that trip. I don't like the way it feels, sounds, packs etc. I typically use a footprint on the outside and a pair of Exped Multi-mats on the interior. I don't carry a PLB, Bear Spray, firearm, cellphone, etc. but I make dang sure that I have a dry place to sleep and dry woolies and socks for sleeping. I don't trip in warm weather and need to be dry at night. I use a multi-mat for several things around camp before putting it in the tent at night.

I tried to find a picture of my Big Agnes 2 person FlyCreek, so OP and others could see what kind of space is available with a full size mat, but alas, it appears that on backpacking trips that I use it on I apparently must shave additional weight by leaving the camera at home as well.

Cheers,

Barry

two exped 26" wide mats nicely for us. She won't sleep on her own mat, they have to be bundled together.

I would tell you that I am more interested and impressed with how well your water dog has trained you, as far as the layout of the mats! Very nice!
But then I would have to admit to bringing a mat and insulated cover for a friends dog who I once took pity on...talk about patsies!*

*My method does have a true purpose, it keeps him in his owners tent all night, other wise he tends to 'graze' the other tents in the encampment for willing suckers... Cold dog, cold feet, cold nose, smelly dog at 3am is not a good thing I can tell you!

Back