• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

2 or 3 person tent for 1?

Reaction score
What's everyone's preference? For years I made out just fine with this old but great little 2 person Coleman tent.

I sold it last month as I'm changing out my gear and packing requirements so I can take the kids along with me on certain trips.

I bought this Eureka Tetragon 4XT, for trips that would include the kids. Quality wise it was great but for canoe camping it was bigger than I prefer, 4 person was fine but the tent is more suited for car camping.

I sold the Eureka Tetragon 4XT and bought an Eureka Scenic Pass 4 person instead, similar floor plan but a simpler design, this will work for the kids and I.

So back to original inquiry, I need a new tent for just me on trips that I do not have the kids with me.
Do you mostly stick with a 2 person tent or go with the 3 for the added space? I'm leaning toward the 3 person. I think the extra room would be more comfortable and the versatility of being able to use the tent for 2 people when needed would be an added benefit.

I had a Tarn 2 for solo'ing but to me it felt like a nylon coffin so I sold it. If I were to ever solo I would get either a Wanderer 2 or a 3 person for the space. Having the ability to dress inside and sit up is something I need. For Christine and I we use a Wanderer 4 which is 12 pounds with both vestibules, tons of room and really easy to set up.

I'm a fan of Eureka Tents. I have used my Mountain Pass 2XTC for almost 9 years and would still use it if I wasn't bringing a hammock. Tight for two, great for one.

I've used a North Face Rock 22 for years and found it plenty big enough but have not had to spend a day rain bound in it.

I like your little Coleman. I would use that with a tarp setup to extend the livable area out a bit for either shade or rain protection. I would advise a dome tent though as opposed to a bivvy bag style like our Tarn 2. Especially in the shoulder seasons I like to have room to move around, and a haven from the bugs is pretty nice in summer.

As I am a minimalist, I am going back to using the everyday eqpt from Canadian Tire or Walmart. It lasts just as long, works just as good, and costs a fraction of the price.

I like your little Coleman. I would use that with a tarp setup to extend the livable area out a bit for either shade or rain protection. I would advise a dome tent though as opposed to a bivvy bag style like our Tarn 2. Especially in the shoulder seasons I like to have room to move around, and a haven from the bugs is pretty nice in summer.

As I am a minimalist, I am going back to using the everyday eqpt from Canadian Tire or Walmart. It lasts just as long, works just as good, and costs a fraction of the price.

That doesn't make you a minimalist, it makes you cheap, or poor actually. ;)

I switched to a Hennessey Hammock several years ago and would not go back if you paid me! Way mor comfortable than anything short of my bed at home, and with my Western Mountaineering down bag and the down under quilt I'm worm down to around 0!

The weight savings and pack size over a tent was substantial, although I'm not an ultralight canoe tripper, every ounce counts on the portages!

Still working on an Under Quilt for mine so I have to keep the tent around for cooler weather

I tried several homemade versions, and finally ponied up for a Jacks-R-Better down under quilt with the overstuffed baffles, and it's worth every penny. And like any quality down item, has the potential of being passed down to my kids!

I pack it along with my WM Caribou bag I use as an over quilt in an Event waterproof compression bag, it gets it to about the size of 2 soda cans. Those go in my liner in either my Duluth or Frost River pack.

I have two tents, a Eureka Timberline 4, which I have used for years, and a North Face Pebble which is basically a solo tent which I use now for the most part.
I like the Pebble's size, just enough for me and one pack in the vestibule. Pretty tight but when traveling solo I depend on my tarp vs. the tent to stay out of the weather during the day so I'm ok with the coffin feel:(. I bought the Pebble at Campmore for $115 back in the day and it's held up well, no complaints except ventilation when it's really hot.
It's small footprint allows me to be very flexible in picking a spot to camp which is very important to my style of tripping and it's weight makes up for some of the other parts of my outfit which are heavier than the norm, ie packs, paddles, canoe.

If I had to replace the Pebble, I would buy a 2 person Timberline, with a vestibule, I like the fact that you can have openings at both ends to let air flow thru. The Timberlines have been used by the BSA for many years and I think that may cause some to avoid them, but I have had great luck with the two I have owned.

Pebble from the inside looking out:

Pebble under tarp, good solo camp in rain:

If I trip solo(not really often, I use an old faith full Mac Pac Olympic, one of the best tent I ever had. It was heavy for a 2 man tent, but crazy sturdy, still running strong after 15 years. Mac Pac use to make great tent before every thing got moved to China, and the rage for super light stuff. The seams on that tent fly are not even taped, and even after 4 days of pissing rain on a sea kayaking trip on the Alaska coast, the tent remained dry as bone!! They don't make tent like that any more!!

We have a 4 person Hilleberg Nallo 4 GT tent for family use, that is as light as my mac pac, and so far as good as the mac pac tent.....

That said, I wouldn't mind getting a 7x7 camp fire tent for next season....

When canoeing with my dog I go with a 3man (Big Agnes) that has a huge vestibule. When I'm canoeing solo I save weight with a 2 man tent that weighs in at 2 lbs (Big Agnes) complete with poles and stakes. In winter canoeing with my dog we use a Nallo 3 GT with ginormous vestibule. I do like Robin mentioned and save weight where I can on solo trips and take a tarp. A tarp is a great way to hang out between showers vs lying inside a tent.

I have a 2 man from Swiss Gear that i bought at Sam's Club for $20 on clearance a couple of years ago (bought 3 actually). They have great rainflys with room to leave boots and stuff outside, that's what I take if I take a tent. Pretty much hammock now though.

We're part of the Hilleberg fan club too. We have had our Staika for many years, and it will likely do many more, so the cost per year is entirely reasonable. Having said that if I am solo I will take either the hammock or a tarp and bug shelter. I love the feeling of being "out in the open" and not enclosed by walls.

I am a fan of a liittle bit more space over the smallish 2 man tents, so I have a generous 2+ man and use it year round. And normally a tarp or Whelen style leanto shelter...with an adjustable pole or two and some fancy grip clips for the tarp (forgot all my BSA knot training, I did...). I need and enjoy my comforts a bit more than 20 years ago and will adjust my trip plans & days accordingly.

I still have a Timberline 4 man, going on 38 years now...it gets occasional use.
If there's 2 of us, I use my Eureka Timberlite 3 man, very sturdy, always very dry.
for solo, I no longer use the "coffin", a cheap Eureka tube...I couldn't even get my pants on or off in it!!
I now have a Big Agnes solo, not the ultralight, but that's OK. I especially like the side entry vestibule.

DSC_3772.JPG

There's that coffin in the back.

Below is the Big Agnes, I like it a lot! Unfortunately, this is the best photo I have...in the center of the background

DSC_8166.JPG

Another hammocker here. Before the hammock, and when out with the fam, I or we, only sleep in the tent. I have never been confined to the tent for any amount of time. As soon as we get to camp, tarp city goes up.

So for tents I have had and sold the coffin (solitaire), have a solo 1 man north face, two man kelty with 2 vestibules and door, same tent in 4 man, and a three man gander mountain brand. Can't recall the model names off hand but all except the north face solo are 10 plus pounds so they don't see use unless I am bringing along my girls and the kitchen sink.

That said I have been eye balling a big Agnes UL for the family trips, lighter tent equals more beer!

I came across a Mountainsmith Celestial (Blue) 2 man tent on Sierra Trading Post a few years ago and it's been a great simple 2 pole design tent. Big enough to actually fit two adults and light enough to carry even for a solo trip. I think the new green version. You can usually find it for a good price if you shop around online. I love the simple two pole design and a lot of open netting on the tent portion if you want to see the stars at night with the tent fly pulled back. The best part is that you set up the poles and just clip the tent up into position. I dislike tent pole sleeves unless it's a 4 season mountaineering tent that needs the added wind and weight protection. I like it so much that I'm thinking of getting the 4 man version (Genesse) for trips with more people. I still spend most nights in the hammock, but like having a tent available as back up.

I just looked and they are on Sierra Trading Post again for around $132. The link will at least show a picture.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mo...47v/?filterString=tents~d~228/&colorFamily=01

Last edited:
Back