• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

1969 Pal

Reaction score
So is 1969 a good year for a chestnut? There is a pal I found for sale all original I think. Looks in good shape, maybe a few cracked ribs, but maybe not totally broken... Not enough pictures to really tell anything other than the varnish looks good and the canvas too!!

Canot
The late 60's early 70's definitely not Chestnut heyday but they still built decent boats.
I have a mid 60's Pal and a 1970 Bobs Special and both are well enough built for my needs. Both lots of fun to paddle solo.
If you can check it out in person and determine repairs needed, decide whether price works for you. Note that Pals aren't that rare so should be priced accordingly.

Now if you locate a 17' Prospector that needs a new home...

Bruce

Canot
The late 60's early 70's definitely not Chestnut heyday but they still built decent boats.
I have a mid 60's Pal and a 1970 Bobs Special and both are well enough built for my needs. Both lots of fun to paddle solo.
If you can check it out in person and determine repairs needed, decide whether price works for you. Note that Pals aren't that rare so should be priced accordingly.

Now if you locate a 17' Prospector that needs a new home...

Bruce

hahaha... The boat isn't close, more like a few days of driving lol
So it is hard to know if it is worth it. The price is 1000 now...

I need to think about it!

That is not what I really want

but it would be nice!

That is what he send me for specs... It was purchased in 1969 immediately prior to the Chestnut Canoe Co. in Fredericton NB shutting down so it is an original Chestnut canoe. It is the ‘Pal” model16'

It’s specs are listed in the original brochure as 16’ x 36” x 12”. Pointed both ends with 700 lbs carrying capacity. Weight 70 lbs. No. 10 canvas. Bow and stern caned seats. 2 thwarts. Flat shoe keel.
Rib size and spacing 3/8” thick x 1 1/2” wide spaced 1 1/2” apart. Inside decks and gunwales varnished. Enamelled a high gloss red or green outside.

So doesn't look like he took the measurements but rather have the original brochure that came with the boat perhaps!

As Glenn noted, the Pal dimensions changed over time but by '69 you're looking at 36" wide canoe. The Chestnut plant didn't move from Fredericton to Oromocto till 1974 so 1969 wasn't "immediately" before the move...

Get some pictures and I'll be glad to assist in evaluating. $1000 is a decent price for a useable Pal- ie doesn't need immediate repairs, re-canvassing etc.

Bruce

Back