• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

16' Allagash canoe

In the West, the canoes that have been lying around and somewhat abused, tend to have a lot of UV damage if they are as old as 1987. It is a wonderful thing to be able to salvage a boat and keep it out of the landfill. I am leery about old fiberglass and Kevlar.......

This canoe is very solid, I wouldn't have bothered with it if it was brittle. You mentioned last week about heavy gunnels are over-rated and this week mention a canoe folding up on you. Maybe the gunnels where too lightweight in the folded canoe?:D

Got the gunnels in yesterday. The floor has that parkay insert with a layer of fiberglass over it. Very solid but a bit heavy. The sides are thin but solid, just not tough like royalex. Those are the seats for this canoe leaning against the wall in the picture, the front being a slider.

The canoe hull is 32" wide by 16'4". I think with the slider it will double as a decent solo.

DSC00776.JPG

No, would be nice, but it's a skill level and equipment level I haven't reached. I am very careful with that long ash, too costly to replace. I know for an experienced woodworker it's probably no big deal and looks great when finished, but considering the resale value of this canoe, risking messing up a long gunnel is just not worth the effort imo.

Robin,
You did a masterful job on this one. I don't remember the comment about heavy gunwales. You are absolutely correct about not wasting time with brittle boats. I am glad this one is going back in service.

When I was a kid, we often came back from the dump with more than we came with. That is the result of having parents that lived through the Depression.

Robin,
You did a masterful job on this one. I don't remember the comment about heavy gunwales.

My mistake. In that thread about the 16' Red Mad River Freedom I put gunnels on, you (ppine) said:
[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]04-15-2015, 10:34 AM

[/COLOR]
"Nice posts by paddlindan. The numbers on the Freedom show that it is really a river tripping boat compared to the all-purpose Explorer. Kind of like the difference between an OT Penobscot and an Appalachian. I am always looking for 4 inches of rocker especially for those times in a loaded boat when there are strong side currents and hydraulics.

Nice job by Robin on his, but I still say perfect gunwales are over-rated."

I remember thinking about the gunnels after that but you didn't say heavy like I mentioned in post #21, you said "perfect". Anyway, I took it serious and gave it alot of thought. Sorry about the mis quote, but thanks for the input, always welcome.

Finished the canoe up today. I need to find a center thwart and clean up the hull a little more, but its done.

DSC00780.JPG

DSC00784.JPG

DSC00788.JPG

The ash gunnels I had was a few inches too short so I asked my friend Bob to make up a set. He has a very nice table saw with the proper jig and he's pretty good with a router also.
After getting done with the MR Explorer last night I clamped the finished inwales and gunnels on this fiberglass Allagash canoe. Depending on what the "honey do" list looks like this weekend I will start working on this canoe.

DSC00772.JPG
Hi
I'm looking at a Allagash Guide...
The person doesn't know if it's fg or Kevlar..
How can we tell?
Would the guide be 13 feet long?
Thanks!

Sorry, I don’t remember much about the canoe, I was buying old restorable canoes at the time, repairing them and then selling them. It came out very nice and it sold quickly to a young fella who came with his Grandpa, other than that I can’t give you much help.
Now that I think about it, I remember the sides where pretty thin, maybe to save weight, but the floor was strong. It was more narrow than wide, I bet it made a nice lake type tripping canoe. Probably weighed around 55 lbs, not Kevlar weight but light in my world.

Sorry, I don’t remember much about the canoe, I was buying old restorable canoes at the time, repairing them and then selling them. It came out very nice and it sold quickly to a young fella who came with his Grandpa, other than that I can’t give you much help.
Now that I think about it, I remember the sides where pretty thin, maybe to save weight, but the floor was strong. It was more narrow than wide, I bet it made a nice lake type tripping canoe. Probably weighed around 55 lbs, not Kevlar weight but light in my world.
Yes I'm into 60-70 pound Royalex boats usually..so 55 for a 16ft ain't bad...
Was that parquetry floor wood or cork maybe?
So more of a laker?? ...not much rocker then I guess..
The one I'm looking at the guy says it's an Allagash "Guide" 16 ft kevlar..??
Hard to find details on this...
But I love a mystery!!! :)

Yes I'm into 60-70 pound Royalex boats usually..so 55 for a 16ft ain't bad...
Was that parquetry floor wood or cork maybe?
So more of a laker?? ...not much rocker then I guess..
The one I'm looking at the guy says it's an Allagash "Guide" 16 ft kevlar..??
Hard to find details on this...
But I love a mystery!!! :)
Do you have a good site to look up canoe serial numbers?
Thanks again

Here’s some info on Allagash canoe Company

Here's a 17' Allagash that looks in good shape selling for $500 on FB near me.

Back