• Happy Publication of E=mc² (1905)! 🧠⚛️🍄☁️

Recent content by Monel

  1. M

    Opportunity Calls - the Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande, a photo-essay

    The cane is an invasive. Didn't try burning 'cause we had buddy burners ... though I doubt the cane would throw much heat. Monel
  2. M

    Dry Pants

    Modern materials make our lives so much easier, comfortable and safe. Try canoetripping in a birch bark canoe wearing only buckskin. Wool and canvas would sound luxurious. We live in privileged times. Monel
  3. M

    Dry Pants

    Yes, and warm. You'll get minor condensation inside but they also dry quickly when turned inside out.
  4. M

    Opportunity Calls - the Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande, a photo-essay

    Opportunity calls — The Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande - Part Two November 2024 Nobody willingly drinks water from the Rio Grande. Besides the silt, I’m presuming it is filled with pesticides, bacteria and chemicals that human abuse has added along its length from the Rockies in Colorado. It...
  5. M

    Opportunity Calls - the Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande, a photo-essay

    Opportunity calls — The Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande - Part 1 November 2024 Well, it all started with a Facebook post, Jim and Mary, two friends from Anchorage, were seeking beta for a river trip on the Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande. This trip has been on my list for literally decades...
  6. M

    Royalex / T-Formex vs. Tough Composites

    This was a Mad River royalex boat on the Tangle Lakes / Delta River trip in Alaska. Definitely needed the Z-drag kit to pull it off. Took 3 stout men pulling the lines and 2 men hands on rocking the boat. The Royalex was badly creased but survived to be paddled out where any sort of evacuation...
  7. M

    Dry Pants

    As I mentioned before check out Simms G3 Guide wading pants. Stout durable fabric, neoprene booties, which are much warmer than fabric booties, a functional wading belt, and many sizing options.
  8. M

    Trip report on Noatak/Colville Rivers in Gates of the Arctic NP and National Petroleum Reserve?

    I used a 4-season Hilleberg Keron 3 on the combined Noatak/Colville. It's pretty when big traveling solo and bombproof. With no portages weight is not an issue so long as you make the limit on the bush plane flight in so I don't skimp on my tent. I've seen days long wind events with 30 knots...
  9. M

    Crossing into Canada with bear spray and knives?

    Remember, you don't have any weapons, you have a pocket knife, camp knife or camp hatchet.
  10. M

    Following wind, waves, and canoe design. Where to next?

    Chrisresac describes what is going on quite well. Trim is key. You absolutely need the upwind end of the boat lower in the water than the downwind end. I've been out in my Wildfire with strong tailwinds and no waves. My stern was light and the boat hung up 45 degrees off the tailwind. I could...
  11. M

    Dry Pants

    I've put a lot of miles on rivers wearing Simms wading pants. Very durable with neoprene feet. Only two downsides are they get hot quickly when it warms up. I also worry about unexpected immersion, especially on big rivers where getting to shore is out. I envision removing them before...
  12. M

    Opinions on a new boat - Rapidfire, Spitfire 13, Trillium

    I've got the shipp;ing to Alaska covered. Know a guy who lives in Kentucky and drives up here every summer. He pays his gas bills by hauling stuff. I gotta pay for it but this is a one time splurge and the shipp;ing is going to be what it is. His route takes him right by the Northstar facility...
  13. M

    Opinions on a new boat - Rapidfire, Spitfire 13, Trillium

    Thanks all. Well, I'm leaning towards a Trillium with a canoe seat now, but have also looked at the specs on the Northstar Northwind Solo. It's a bit more boat but may suit my stability needs when bringing in a big ranibow or silver. At 64 my balance isn't getting any better .... The Northwind...
  14. M

    Opinions on a new boat - Rapidfire, Spitfire 13, Trillium

    Hello folks, I'm hoping to treat myself to a new solo touring canoe this year and would appreciate some opinions. I'll mostly be using my new boat for multi-day trips on the Swan Lake canoe trails on the Kenai in Alaska. The lakes aren't too big but can draw a wind, the portages not too long...
  15. M

    Trip report on Noatak/Colville Rivers in Gates of the Arctic NP and National Petroleum Reserve?

    By paddling 330 miles, more or less, on the Noatak, from Ivahuna Creek to the mouth of the Kugururok River, catching a shuttle flight north over the Brooks Range to the mouth of Amo Creek on the Colville River then floating roughly 340 miles of the Colville down to Umiat. Monel
Back
Top Bottom