• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Trip report on Noatak/Colville Rivers in Gates of the Arctic NP and National Petroleum Reserve?

What say ye?

• Yes

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • No thanks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
The reason I ask is that I paddled an inflatable kayak, not a canoe. There was one Grabner inflatable canoe, several IK's and, believe it or not, a Feathercraft tandem folding sea kayak. Would a trip report on this 6 week 700+ mile trip be welcome?

Best,

Monel

By paddling 330 miles, more or less, on the Noatak, from Ivahuna Creek to the mouth of the Kugururok River, catching a shuttle flight north over the Brooks Range to the mouth of Amo Creek on the Colville River then floating roughly 340 miles of the Colville down to Umiat.

Monel

Noatak - Colville 2022.JPG

We paddled the Noatak many moons ago using Ally Pack fold up back pack canoes. On one stop we climbed a mountain, which the guide said had never been climbed before. On the lower section we left our "Juneau Sneakers"
after we got above the tussocks/perma-frost. It was a wonderful trip
Jack L

By paddling 330 miles, more or less, on the Noatak, from Ivahuna Creek to the mouth of the Kugururok River, catching a shuttle flight north over the Brooks Range to the mouth of Amo Creek on the Colville River then floating roughly 340 miles of the Colville down to Umiat.

Monel
That's neat! Looking forward to the report.

Many open canoeists, including members here, sometimes use an alternative paddle craft in certain circumstances, such as what are essentially foldable or inflatable pack canoes to fit a group onto a bush plane to get into remote areas. If you post your trip report, Monel, I'm sure lots of folks would enjoy seeing pictures of the Noatak and Colville Rivers—places we've never been and may never go—especially during this winter slow time for canoe stuff for most of us.

Back