• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Roy's Mystery Wood Canoe

Roybrew, glad I could help. Gil Gilpatrick mentioned that the 2nd edition print was printed on two different timellines. The first batch of the 2nd edition “Building a Strip Canoe” includes the wrong plans for stations 1 & 9. Before I started Alsg let me know about this and I contacted Gil for the corrections. I have been so busy lately that I haven’t spent much time on this forum and I apologize for not being aware of this post sooner. Certainly glad you reached out and that we connected. Best of luck the rest of the way and I will be tuning in from here on out. My Wabnaki is off the forms and ready for.........Well more sanding!!!!! Good luck Myron!

Wow, that's quite an error, perhaps you have mentioned it already, but did you buy the plans? Wonder how many people have built that canoe as a "cheeked" version?

Rob, Gil Gilpatricks book "Building a Strip Canoe" includes 8 canoe plans in a back cover pocket.

I have redone my first and last stations. Lots better now. Thanks again for the fix DCloots. Don't let my real name get out, if my canoe sinks or turns out a flop, I'll change my login name;). Any how, I had to glue my rubber tips on my clamps before I assemble my "Jimmie Clamps. Got my shear line strips on, and everything looks good, I think. Nice round curves on that one. I don't see any dimples or cheeks.

Attachments

• photo14777.jpg
    photo14777.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo14778.jpg
    photo14778.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo14779.jpg
    photo14779.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo14780.jpg
    photo14780.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 0
Big improvement !

I like plastic packing tape on the form edges. It releases better than masking tape.

I leave the plastic tips on the clamps, when stretching the inner tube over the jaws of the clamps. They will last longer that way !

You are on your way !

Jim

The packing tape was a roll of lint tape that my wife was going to throw away. I thought I'd try it. That's some tuff stuff! I think so far so good. I am using staples, but I need more clamps. Lots of stuff I should've had prepared before I started, but I couldn't wait. Why does it look sooo easy when some one else is doing it?

Attachments

• photo14786.jpg
    photo14786.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo14787.jpg
    photo14787.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo14788.jpg
    photo14788.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 0
Got a couple of hours in this morning. Seems like I have to put a little more effort into making these strips behave then I thought I would've. But I'm happy with it so far. I had a couple of screw ups, one was just a stupid moment on my part, and well I guess both were avoidable. I couldn't figure out how or when to start randomly with my strips. I have 4 different woods. The dark walnut will be an accent strip plus the foot ball pattern on the bottom. The other 3, red cedar, sassafras and cherry I was going to start with it randomly. Of course this type of wood may be the reason I'm having behavioral issues with it.??? I really ain't got a clue. I stole the inner tube from the front wheel on my bicycle, to make a few more Jimmie Clamps. I bought the bicycle when I was 14. The tires were so dry rotted. I bet the tubes were over 25 years old. Done for a few days.

Attachments

• photo14817.jpg
    photo14817.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo14818.jpg
    photo14818.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo14819.jpg
    photo14819.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo14820.jpg
    photo14820.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 0
Little bit at a time, but I'm getting there. Other then worry about everything evening out, I'm enjoying this. I can run down and add a couple of strips, sit around drink coffee and ponder over it. I'm going to be sanding my @#&! Off!

Attachments

• photo14887.jpg
    photo14887.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 0
Looks like you're off to a good start.

I didn't realize you were mixing hard and soft strips on the hull. If you're intent on doing this I'd recommend grouping them as much as possible rather than doing it random. With different hardnesses of wood sanding is likely to be very difficult. I once used an oak shear strip in hopes it would allow me to omit the gunwales and it was very difficult trying to sand the oak portion right next to the cedar. I ended up with lots of deep gouges in the cedar from either not paying enough attention or slipping off the oak. I'm thinking if you had 6 hardwood strips next to each other it might be easier to sand that section rather than intermixing soft cedar in between them.

Alan

Yes somebody else mention something to the nature of that...? I may be in a little trouble there. Thanks Alan that is great advice. Another thing to learn.

Uh huh... I bet you experts out there just laugh your hind ends off when watching us in-experienced rookies jump on in building a canoe. Ha one of these days I'll show ya, at least that's what I tell my wife.

Seriously it's coming along pretty good I think? I'll put a couple of strips on, rub my butt on the wood stove and sip some coffee. #1 thing I've learned so far is to be a little more precise with my forms. #2 is to do a better job with my wood strip preparation.

One of these days I might be, almost, as good as some of you. I doubt it but it is wishful thinking. I know I probably don't need all those clamps, but I feel better knowing my strips are pressed together tightly. I hope everyone is well
Roy
​​​

Attachments

• photo15087.jpg
    photo15087.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 0
No Laughing here.

If we compared my first boat, to yours? We'd both have a good Laugh !

That's how we get better at this thing called Canoe building !

I've help several people locally, build canoes and a couple of kayaks. and have learned something from everyone of them !

That second one will be so much better !

Good Luck !

Jim

Looking good Roy Brew! Laughing at yourself is fine. I have done it to myself many times as well. Good medicine! Here is my project and where I am at right now. It all comes together one way or another.

Attachments

• 84CBB34C-F58A-4F46-A34F-A353E5A983EE.jpeg
    84CBB34C-F58A-4F46-A34F-A353E5A983EE.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 0
Looks great to me. People build for different reasons. I build canoes that are meant to take a beating, and have in fact worn some of them out. So I don't worry too much about what they look like when I'm building. Other people really build works of art, their canoes are things of beauty when they are done. I'm a wood butcher, just happy to have a performance model canoe for a budget price. Building your first canoe without staples is a pretty big thing. I haven't done that yet, and probably never will. Just keep having fun!

Looks great to me. People build for different reasons. I build canoes that are meant to take a beating, and have in fact worn some of them out. So I don't worry too much about what they look like when I'm building. Other people really build works of art, their canoes are things of beauty when they are done. I'm a wood butcher, just happy to have a performance model canoe for a budget price. Building your first canoe without staples is a pretty big thing. I haven't done that yet, and probably never will. Just keep having fun!

Memaquay has a valid point, although when I build my next canoe I will certainly improve on the areas that I know I didn't do so well the first time. I think with better craftsmanship comes better time management and less rework. This is my goal anyway with the next build, less rework, better time efficiency and better product. My first canoe is decent in all regards but I know where the mistakes have been made......I just don't think I am going to tell all of you.....lol!

You're coming along really well! And more importantly, it seems like you're enjoying the process and learning a lot. What's better than that?

Thanks you all. I'm enjoying it. It's low stress. I have built several display cases with framed glass doors, book cases and such. A few of them I hope a distant family member has acquired long after I'm gone, and thinks of me. It sounds silly, but my wife has a couple of pieces that has been handed down since the civil war, and it makes both of us wonder about that person and that time.

I don't plan on hanging a canoe up just for ornament. I do plan on using it but not abusing it. One of the local rivers I canoe and fish on has several shoals where I have bumped bottomed, a few times, with my other canoes. Nothing hard or harsh I don't think, so I hope the 6oz Eglass I intend to put on this canoe can handle a little scoot on a shoal.

Hey DCLoots, have you glassed the inside of your hull yet? It is looking good. When you started on your canoe gave me more encouragement to proceed with mine.
Roy
​​​​​

​​​​​

Back