• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Nokomis Build

Took Nokomis out for a photo shoot in the backyard today. ​
Gunnels are still tacky, but will get her in the water this weekend !
[video]http://vid1272.photobucket.com/albums/y390/JimDodd/MVI_1318_zpsjb4qzgky.mp4[/video]

IMG_1311_zpsr3koahfs.jpg

IMG_1302_zpsmtuq2vq9.jpg

Jim

Thanks guys !
​ Well as promised, I was able to get Nokomis out of dry dock.
It was an great Sept. morning . I could barely make out the full moon as I drove to the shop.

After loading up Nokomis, I headed for the Joe Reasoner dam, that holds back Lake Nokomis. I was surprised to have Pelicans accompany me. Very unusual for around here.

Nokomis proved to be the most stable solo I've ever been in ! I'm really excited to put her through more paces, and get her much lighter CF Sister, back in the shop to work on.

Here's a few pics of this morning.
IMG_1245_zpsougqvkyz.jpg

IMG_1262_zpsruoebhdx.jpg

IMG_1253_zps4jmkqwk1.jpg

IMG_1275_zpsg6vjwugl.jpg

IMG_1270_zpsyblu5kyg.jpg

IMG_1283_zpst4k0czhp.jpg

Portage yoke was perfectly balanced.

Jim

I want to add a BIG THANK YOU, to all that followed along, and helped with this build !

It took 9 months, much longer than usual for me ! I cherished every minute of it !

Paddling Nokomis today, brightened my whole day ! Any time you paddle something built by your own two hands, and some help from other's, you get a great sense of satisfaction. Those that have done so, know what I'm talking about.

I encourage anyone that has dreamt of building a cedar strip canoe to go for it ! It will teach you a lot about yourself !
Get some good help, and know you CAN do it !

Jim

Congratulations on finishing it up! That first paddle is always very exciting. Looks like a really nice place for a morning paddle too.

That looks great, Jim. Really glad to hear the first paddle was successful. Can't wait to check it out in person. We'll have to get together for a paddle soon.

Alan

Thanks Jason

​ I have a couple of pics of my portage yoke/backrest.
​ I need softer pads, but so far I'm happy with it ! Worked great in the BWCA last week, except in rough water. It's easy to set up and take down.
IMG_1327_zps1wvvhhym.jpg

IMG_1325_zpsnpeccjyq.jpg

Last edited:
Jim,
That's a very classy looking seat frame!
I like that backrest/carry yoke combo...What was the farthest you carried with it? On your shoulders or on your pack?
Also, is that synthetic snowshoe lacing? I used to lace my seats that way, until Havlick Snowshoe Co near me went under. Where did you get your synthetic lacing? Or is it the real deal?
Oh, and how in the world do you get the lacing to follow the droop in your seat frame?

I had (still have, I suppose) a layout for a combo seat frame/carry yoke for my Kite. The seat frame has a couple of "wings" on the rear section, to act as the yoke when the seat is flipped end for end. My current seat frame sits on bottom mounted supports via some 3M Dual Lock, so it could be an easy swap.
Sadly, I have yet to follow through on my seat design, too many other projects!!

I hear the " Too many Projects !" !
Thanks !
​ I bought a spool of 1/2" nylon cord, years ago from an outfit in Minnesota, that sold snow shoe kits. Country Ways. It's incredibly strong !

​ I lace the cord a little loose, as the varnish shrinks it when it dries. I really force the Spar Urethane into the webbing. This really helps give it the raw hide look.

​ We portaged just twice this Fall. A 200 rd portage.
​ My pads were WAAAY too stiff. I Will remedy that this Winter ! I started with a pack and the canoe, but less than halfway, I dropped the pack. With softer pads, I'm sure I could have gone all the way with a pack and the canoe !

​ One thing I do different than others, is I inlet (?) the frames.
A close up.
IMG_0109_zpsmoqbjk92.jpg

This really adds strength to the joint. I use a single hard wood dowel and epoxy to secure the joint. I'm approaching 240# and no failures yet.

Jim

Last edited:
Nice bit of engineering on the yoke/back rest. Was nice to see it in person this weekend. I forgot to ask how you balance the canoe for carrying? Is this taken into account when building the yoke or do you add weight to one end of the canoe when carrying?

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Alan

Nice bit of engineering on the yoke/back rest. Was nice to see it in person this weekend. I forgot to ask how you balance the canoe for carrying? Is this taken into account when building the yoke or do you add weight to one end of the canoe when carrying?

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Alan

​ Without any paddles or packs, the yoke balances the canoe on my shoulders. The center of the pads are 5" fore of the front edge of the seat. Generally the front edge of my seats come out around 5-6", aft of center. This is an A-symetrical canoe.

​ Thanks for the Birthday wish !
​ I cut 1/8" strips for CF Nokomis, and finish sanding the damage to Nokomis this AM. Great way to start me 66th year !!

Jim

I didn't want this thread to disappear, so I'm posting. To keep it alive.

Though I love my Nokomis, Vader ( the carbon copy) will be my canoe of choice for the BWCA, later this month. It is very stable to fish out of, and more than adequate for a week long trip in cooler Fall temps ( more gear)

IMG_1710_zpskwb0yrus.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1710_zpskwb0yrus.jpg Views:	0 Size:	253.6 KB ID:	97311

I shared this thread over on Facebook. at Cedar strip Canoe and Kayak building, as well as others on Facebook. It's a private group, but anyone can join.

Thanks !

Great post Jim.
Why would you build a flat bottomed canoe when you the forms for a beautiful arched hull?

Good Question ! And Thanks !

Years ago I fell in love with the Bell Magic, Designed by David Youst, I was impressed by it's speed and stability..

I had the opportunity to closely examine a Magic. I found, in addition to the accentuated tumble home, and Asymmetry, the hull was flat bottomed.

It was hard for me to accept that concept ! I had always believed a hull had to be Arched to get Speed.

Nokomis for me was my attempt to make MY Magic.

I stuck with a Symmetrical hull shape with Nokomis, as my earlier attempts at Asymmetry, did not show a marked improvement in performance, with other hulls..

I love my Nokomis, but Vader, the Carbon copy, shines as a tripping hull. So Stabile to fish from. lighter to portage, and room for a lot of gear..

I'm sure my Nokomis doesn't match the hull speed of the Magic. The Quest continues.

As Gene Jensen said he wasn't happy until he designed a hull that goes by itself ! I'm far from Gene Jenson, but I'm still dreaming !

I hope you picked up some building tips from my post !

Jim

Back