• Happy National Apple Pie Day! 🍎🥧😋

Knife build / canoetripping.net fund raiser thread.

Bacon Slicer, Brad you're making me hungry. I'm day dreaming about wood smoke and fried bacon aroma while I slide a little closer to the warmth of the fire. Of course there's a blue enamel coffee pot off to one side just warming. Now I smell all three together. Smells like heaven.

Willis was the former owner of this site who committed suicide a few years back. He was a great guy and is missed by many. Robin stepped in and took the site over before it lapsed and we lost all our connection with each other. He invested his time and money to keep the site going. I would rather keep this a fund raiser to help out Robin with the costs of running the site rather then turning it into a memorial to Willis. I also would like to keep it feeling light and not like a funeral. That doesn't rule out having a separate memorial to Willis in another thread. Dave

Thanks Dave,
Well said. Time to move on.

On a lighter note, I like the Canoetripping connection, but that Fred stuff was funny Alan. I'm not all that creative and rather than pay attention to my Husky chain saw today I was thinking of names....duh, nothing yet, almost had a kick back though while daydreamin'...I know, Scarface.. just messin wit ya

I like Edgy better then Ned Beatty. Just saying.
What do you guys think? The name game ain't over till it's over.

Last edited:
Well, there is a canoe connection to Ned Beatty, although it's one I have tried to wipe out of my mind since I saw it when I was 14. I'm not sure I would want a knife that squealed like a pig every time it got pulled it out.

Only problem I have with Edgy is that once one got familiar with him, one might start abbreviating the name, and simply call him The Edge. That is the same nick name for the guitarist for the most pretentious band in the world, U2. His guitar playing is about as "edgy" as a $5.99 chinese folding knife.

I think we need some more suggestions, let's not be hasty. I'm still kinda liking "Fred."

More suggestions would be good. And we have all winter as far as I'm concerned so no need to get hasty. Mem, your hasty remark sounded a little Entish. Might be where you get your stockiness from.

OK. Plain "Ed"
I like one word names. You don't call your best by their full name.

Years ago I saw Tom Hanks did a commercial, where he was talking and paddling a solo canoe at the same time. Right away, I knew I liked Tom !

His Soccer ball friend in Castaway was Wilson.

I still like Slick !

Last edited:
Well, if we're gonna choose names for the knife like we choose names for a baby, this will be easy. I'm loaded with the most excellent name suggestions. I help out all my family and friends. All the time. How about Horace? Jackson? Wilbur? Let's not forget nice lady names. Like Margaret. Stella. Cynthia. There are no babies with those names among my family and friends, but that's just a coincidence. I wish I had've thought of Fred.

Well if we can't come up with a consensus on a name just yet, maybe we could start the handle wood / finger guard selection.

Bachelor number "A" is a piece of figured Hard Maple. He has been stained to reveal his contrasting grain. He sports a traditional "antique" look when finished with stain and oil and looks best with a brass finger guard.

Bachelor "B" is a piece of Desert Ironwood. "B" boasts that he is very stable when subjected to humidity changes. "B" will show some nice rich looking grain and takes a good polish on the buffing wheel. He would look fine with either a brass or nickle silver finger guard.

Bachelor "C" is a piece of Black Ebony. "C" has very little grain figure but looks great with a nickle silver finger guard. Sort of a black / chrome look for putting on the Ritz. "C" definitely has some attitude.

Please cast you votes for "A", "B", or "C" and we will count them up in a few days.
Note: If voting for "B" please also indicate brass or nickle silver for the finger guard.
Dave

11222285_1115457661822086_2493140629429623904_n.jpg

Last edited:
Willis was the former owner of this site who committed suicide a few years back. He was a great guy and is missed by many. Robin stepped in and took the site over before it lapsed and we lost all our connection with each other. He invested his time and money to keep the site going. I would rather keep this a fund raiser to help out Robin with the costs of running the site rather then turning it into a memorial to Willis. I also would like to keep it feeling light and not like a funeral. That doesn't rule out having a separate memorial to Willis in another thread. Dave

Thanks for that, I am sorry.

I agree on your memorial view.

Thanks for that, I am sorry.

I agree on your memorial view.

No problem, IIRC there were only around 120 members or so when the tragedy happened. Most are newer here so I thought to shed some light on it. I didn't mean to bash anyone's suggestion. Please forgive me if I offended anyone in doing so. I just wanted to keep it lighter and move forward.

Back